Please tell me it gets better

bama_possum

Expert Expediter
My wife and I have been team driving for Panther II since the 1st of December. Up until now, we have earned a consistent cash flow, as we are company drivers, not o/o. This week has been horrible. We took a load offer from Chicago to Nogales, AZ last week. Consequently, we have deadheaded our way back to Dallas, just to find ourselves with a 250 mile load offer, one whole week since our last load offer!! We are not slackers by any means. We stay on the road a month at a time. This is supposedly a busy week for expediting, being the end of the quarter and all. What gives? We are just a little discouraged at the moment.:(

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
What happened to you is not unusual. This type of situation has happened to us all. Apparently your company does not have a strong customer base in either Az or Tx. This is not uncommon. You have just learned a little more of your company. When you run outside there operating range you are taking a risk you may not get a return load. Best to stay east of the Mississippi from now on unless you want to vacation out west. Best to forget about your time lost and tomorrow will be a better day.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Since you are new to Panther, maybe I can help. When considering a run out of Chicago, if you are unwilling to do a brokered load, don't take runs that take you into non expedite areas. When you get the hang of doing your own backhauls, then go out there (AZ) if not, be prepared to deadhead back or waiting awhile. Same situation if you go anywhere in the Northwest. The only exception will be if you get into special services as they have military loads out west.
California is different. Sometimes get a load right away and sometimes you don't.
If doing backhauls, I would have taken one from Nagales to El Paso, and then got a regular run. Plenty of expedite loads out of El Paso.
It is easy to get excited for a long run, but make sure you are looking at the whole picture.
Hang in there, one bad week won't spoil the barrel
Davekc
owner
20 years

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
You mentioned your an employee not a o/o i take that as you drive for a o/o and the truck is leased to panther,in that instance you should talk to the truck owner about getting set up for a load.Like Dave said you really need to think past were your current load is taking you so you can get loaded again.