Please i need advice fast.

Localrunz

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Ok i went with a company out of green bay came up last night. I got in van drove back down to Sheboygan to wait on load, they said they would find me something towards house to load up van so i brought min in carry on bag so my plane ticket would not be over 200 bucks. Well this morning get call move down below Milwaukee to wait then on way down they call we got load from beloit to fl you can go by house and load up. Ok i drive that ways 30 miles from there we didnt get load. Ok next they call head to morton il your 55 miles away so i type it in gps and morton is a 155 miles away so the other one is morton grove which was 67 miles away so im thinking this is where they must mean i get driving about another 30 miles down rd they callback it was morton and they said its going to north dakota. Im like no ways. So ive drove almost 200 miles no load yet spent 200 on a plane ticket and i told them i was bringing van back. And ask if they would bring me back to Milwaukee to catch the plane tonight tgey said no. In contract its say 1200 dollar abandonment fee but i feel it want be abandoned if i tell them im at airport to come get it before i catch my plane back to tn help please. This is the dumbest mistake ive made in life.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok i went with a company out of green bay came up last night. I got in van drove back down to Sheboygan to wait on load, they said they would find me something towards house to load up van so i brought min in carry on bag so my plane ticket would not be over 200 bucks. Well this morning get call move down below Milwaukee to wait then on way down they call we got load from beloit to fl you can go by house and load up. Ok i drive that ways 30 miles from there we didnt get load. Ok next they call head to morton il your 55 miles away so i type it in gps and morton is a 155 miles away so the other one is morton grove which was 67 miles away so im thinking this is where they must mean i get driving about another 30 miles down rd they callback it was morton and they said its going to north dakota. Im like no ways. So ive drove almost 200 miles no load yet spent 200 on a plane ticket and i told them i was bringing van back. And ask if they would bring me back to Milwaukee to catch the plane tonight tgey said no. In contract its say 1200 dollar abandonment fee but i feel it want be abandoned if i tell them im at airport to come get it before i catch my plane back to tn help please. This is the dumbest mistake ive made in life.
Hate to tell you this, but it would be abandonment. It is your responsibility to get the van back to them.

Localrunz

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I told them to meet me at airport thats not abandment. Im telling you where its at and giving the keys back not abandoned even if they think it is they will have hell ever getting a dollar from me . should have knew first thing this morning when they asked how many miles can you do straight thru. And they said we got a driver doing non stop 1300 miles. No way you can do that safe

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
First, I'd have taken the load to North Dakota. Or simply turned it down and waited for a load going in a better direction. Second, since the only thing you can count on in expediting is the unexpected, if you need to get home to load the van up then it's either wait on a load heading south, or just go ahead and deadhead home, and then go back in service when you're ready.

As for backing out of the contract, seems a little hasty just because things didn't go right out of the gate the way you expected them to. The unexpected, and all that. But if you want to get out of it, you either need to return the van to where you got it, or leave it somewhere else.

Somewhere else = abandoned.

Spedz13

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Well I have to agree with everyone above it is Abandonment if its not put back where u got it......and abandonment can really screw u over they put that stuff on your Hire Right which every company will look at as say nope we dont want to deal with someone who leaves trucks.......but in the end its up to you

Localrunz

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Can yall classify abandoned vehicle. i left at a spot i told them it would be at they had no problem picking me up at airport last night but once i seen they where not legit we cant take you back to where we picked you up so it goes both ways. So id call it me doing what i had to since i asked them if i bring it back to green bay will you take me back to airport. But if yall would have drove 200 miles chasing freight and getting nothing i bet you would be sanging different tune.

Spedz13

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Can yall classify abandoned vehicle. i left at a spot i told them it would be at they had no problem picking me up at airport last night but once i seen they where not legit we cant take you back to where we picked you up so it goes both ways. So id call it me doing what i had to since i asked them if i bring it back to green bay will you take me back to airport. But if yall would have drove 200 miles chasing freight and getting nothing i bet you would be sanging different tune.

Facts are facts.....you abandoned the truck/van....it will be put on your record....I see your point as far as it goes both ways but unfort. people in this industry dont see it the way most people do....You have to do a ton of leg work before u go to any company....I recently wouldn't go with a company because I tried getting a hold of the recruiter for 3 days to no avail that and the owner was bad with communication that throws red flags anything that throws even a minor flag say NO......just my opinion....sorry it was like this :(

as far as the abandoned truck/van.....if you leave it ANYWHERE but a agreed location or there place of business its abandoned

Reactions: mccll01 and Turtle

Localrunz

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Im all good contract would never hold up in court! They told me i needed a dot physical. But then they decided i could do it later To go ahead last night at 200 oclock in the morning and head towards Milwaukee in there van. So with breach of r contract it would be nulled and voided anyways. So i could have been nasty and left it in side of the rd instead i left in a fenced in camera facilty at airport.

Localrunz

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
No but im a betting man and id put it on my life if you needed a dot card for this company and they let you go on road without it. The contract never was legit in first place cause they shouldnt let you drive till you had it any judge or jury would see it the same way im sure of that. So like i said i kind of did them a favor leaving it where i did.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
The One thing I would worry is what they put on your report. They may have told you it's ok, but they could put abandoned vehicle on it and if they did, good luck getting on with someone else. Technically you didn't return the vehicle back to where you got it.

That's a death sentence in expediting!

Spedz13

Rookie Expediter
Driver
No but im a betting man and id put it on my life if you needed a dot card for this company and they let you go on road without it. The contract never was legit in first place cause they shouldnt let you drive till you had it any judge or jury would see it the same way im sure of that. So like i said i kind of did them a favor leaving it where i did.

FYI...you said van so its under CDL.....no physical required.....some places like you to have them though but its not DOT required so your point is invalid on that......if you signed a contract it will stand up in court period if anything is in there that isnt legal its both of your butts in a sling.....I been doing this since 2013 (I know not as long as some on here) but where I lack in years I gain in knowledge because I read EVERYTHING and I can read a person like a book. I feel for you I really do but if they put that on your record u wont get another job in expediting unless its a company that you prolly wont want to work for

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Localrunz

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Dac is for cdl holders i have no commercial drivers lic. So thats no issue. Wom ive done more miles in my few years than you have ur whole career. This company is bad! if you think its good that they have drivers going straight thru with no break on 1300 miles you may need to get out of the business.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Dac is for cdl holders i have no commercial drivers lic. So thats no issue. Wom ive done more miles in my few years than you have ur whole career. This company is bad! if you think its good that they have drivers going straight thru with no break on 1300 miles you may need to get out of the business.
The company may be bad, i dont know. 1300 miles straight thru is unsafe.... nobody says different. The issue is abandonment.

You really need to have a lawyer look at the contract. The ramifications of abandonment are huge.

Reactions: Opel2010

Localrunz

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Another issue if said company actually supplies you van and they are the company then the issue would arrise are you a actual a employee. Another reason most contracts are just gibberish. Due to a real contract employee would not be supplied any equipment for the job!

Localrunz

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Done lost to much money and wasted time. I just feel i should do more about them they shouldnt be allowed to run a business like this. Them thinking doing long runs straight thru with no sleep is a dangerous practice and could get someone killed.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Done lost to much money and wasted time. I just feel i should do more about them they shouldnt be allowed to run a business like this. Them thinking doing long runs straight thru with no sleep is a dangerous practice and could get someone killed.
Did they actually tell you this?

Did you ask how much time was alloted for this run? You asked for advice, but there is a lot you are not telling us.

Reactions: ntimevan