Please explain sign

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Everyone, I'm sure has seen the sign warning of a curve that might tip over a truck, but what I don"t understand is the circle with the arrow might be pointing to the right, but the little icon of the truck will be shown trying to tip over to the left! Now it seems to me that if the curve is going to the left, the truck would tip to the right. Right! Anyone else notice this?
Jumbuck

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Everyone, I'm sure has seen the sign warning of a curve that might tip over a truck, but what I don"t understand is the circle with the arrow might be pointing to the right, but the little icon of the truck will be shown trying to tip over to the left! Now it seems to me that if the curve is going to the left, the truck would tip to the right. Right! Anyone else notice this?
Jumbuck

Does it really matter?.....LOL....I mean really...maybe someone will sue the sign painter because he/she doesn't know gravity....

Its like who really paints some of them deer crossing pics?....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The. sign that really gives me the. creeps. .....Welcome to South Dakota .....its like a Cult Warning. ..:p

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

piattteam

Active Expediter
Centrifugal force. As you are turning to the left, the force is on the right. Turn right, force is on left. Force is always to the outside of a turn.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Centrifugal force. As you are turning to the left, the force is on the right. Turn right, force is on left. Force is always to the outside of a turn.

Exactly. sharp-curve-thumb9453807.jpg
The curved arrow is the direction of the curve in the road, not the direction the trailer might tip.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Heh, I think maybe it is centrifugal inertia...or perhaps inertial centrifugalness...yeah, that's the ticket!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think it is caused by taking a curve or corner too fast. It is called the "Flipolla Effect".

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Inertia causes the vehicle to want to move in a straight line rather than to turn or curve. Centrifugal force is the effect caused by the inertia and is the "force" pushing toward the outside of the radius and which could cause the vehicle to tip over depending on the relationship of the force to the center of gravity.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Centrifugal is the action of an object moving from a "fixed" point or axis,, the truck is not attached to any such point.. inertia is the force of an object wanting to continue in a straight line unless influenced by another source. The inertia of the truck is influenced by the tires, the freight has no such influence and tries to continue in said straight line. But I think Flipolla Effect splains it quite clearly....