Plans and Expectations

wbmillerkc

Active Expediter
Hi Rocketman

First, I'm not sure this is the proper forum for the excelent questions you've posed, hence the new thread. Mr. Moderator, I'm sure you can move it to where ever it would be more suitable, if you deem it so, however I think his questions and discussion would benefit anyone thinking of getting into expiditing.

Second, I didn't mean to denigrate in any way people that drive for others, I did that for 5 years too, and Rocketman is absoultly right. If you drive for someone else and blow a $400 tire, just pick up the phone and send someone out to fix it so I can get back on the road, and hurry up, after all, it isn't coming out of My pocket! But as Socrates wrote over the entrance to the Partheon..."Know thy self" At 58, for better or worse.... I do. I would rather not hand over the freedom to not be absoultly controled by others in spite of the risks involved.

So, on to the questions....

[IF"][/COLOR]In some ways, the straight truck is actually easier to get into than a Sprinter. It will cost more, but most any carrier will sign it on as opposed to most of the better carriers have a waiting list for Sprinters.

A few more specifics would help to get you some better answers.

1. Are you looking to get into something new or something used? Anything newer than 2003 with a diesel engine has a potential for some seriously expensive repairs.....sprinters included after 2006. If your looking at new stuff, they seem to have made some improvements in the last year or 2, but all of that emissions equipment is still on there and you can bet its still expensive.

Something used to start with. As I've researched this across the web, 25500 trucks are a dime a dozen, 33000 class 7 cab and chassis can be found, you just have to look a little harder. All of them can be had for betweek 18 and 20k+ for a 2005-2007 with between 250 and 350k. Used sleepers in the 70"+ range, another 2k, Used box 24'/22', around 2005 vintage, another 5k or so. With a few thousand for incedentals, I'm thinking around 30k would get you set up. I have around 10k cash for set up and the first few months operation, the rest financed.

2. What is your main goal? Do you need a certain amount of income from this business? How much do you have in mind? Does the business only need to sustain its own expenses plus some living expenses for you? These things would be a major factor in my decision if I were in your shoes.

Here is where I fall into a bit of a quandry, I don't know what realistic earnings are. Personaly I'd need around $1800 after taxes per month for the household. After that everything else can go to the truck. But, with a lot of talk about sitting, I don't know if those numbers are realistic. Yeah, I know, you can make as much as you're willing to run. I haven't really broken it down yet, but I'm thinking around 5000 miles a month. For a solo.... is that freight there?

3. Are you capable of dealing with a 3 or 4 day layover without going crazy? Many, many people who come into this business from tractor trailers just cant take the downtime that we see from time to time. You have been out of the industry long enough that it probably wouldnt be an issue for you, but its still something to think about.

I don't really think I'd have a problem with that, once I got used to the business cycles. The first couple of months when the bills are coming will probably be tough.

For what its worth....there are many people out here perfectly happy driving for someone else. There is something to be said for not being responsible for the repair costs associated with these newer diesels....believe me on that if you ignore everything else...lol. [/I]

Ok, so if you've managed to get to the end of my longwindedness, are my expectations anywhere realistic? or am I full of BS?

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
If you get with a Busy carrier you should be able to earn better then that, but that all depends on you and the time your willing to go "OUT' and stay...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
WB, I dont see a problem with your expectations. I would round it off to $2k/mo which means you need $24k/yr after taxes.

Assuming your not expecting to cover a huge tax liabilty from any non-truck related income you may have, there is a good chance that your taxes wont amount to much especially through the depreciation period of your equipment.

With trucks, I just can't bring myself to recommend anything on a truck newer than 2003. There are some real horror stories out there, especially for someone starting out. The Sprinter vans are great until 2007. Anything 2007 or newer on a Sprinter is going to have a risk also. If the decision were based solely on what has the least chance of bankrupting you with repair bills, I would recommend a high cube capacity van of some kind (even the newer Sprinters have less a chance of bankrupting you than class 6,7or8). The problem is that the van segment is saturated, so...there is a rub with that too.

Its a tough decision that you'll have to do a lot of research on, but if you find a piece of equipment that doesnt kill you with repair bills, I dont see any reason why your goals wouldnt be achievable.

wbmillerkc

Active Expediter
WB, I dont see a problem with your expectations. I would round it off to $2k/mo which means you need $24k/yr after taxes.

Assuming your not expecting to cover a huge tax liabilty from any non-truck related income you may have, there is a good chance that your taxes wont amount to much especially through the depreciation period of your equipment.

With trucks, I just can't bring myself to recommend anything on a truck newer than 2003. There are some real horror stories out there, especially for someone starting out. The Sprinter vans are great until 2007. Anything 2007 or newer on a Sprinter is going to have a risk also. If the decision were based solely on what has the least chance of bankrupting you with repair bills, I would recommend a high cube capacity van of some kind (even the newer Sprinters have less a chance of bankrupting you than class 6,7or8). The problem is that the van segment is saturated, so...there is a rub with that too.

Its a tough decision that you'll have to do a lot of research on, but if you find a piece of equipment that doesnt kill you with repair bills, I dont see any reason why your goals wouldnt be achievable.

Thanks for the advice! One of the hard things to get a handle on is what to expect in earnings. That it depends on how much you want to run, and how long you're willing to stay out should be pretty self-evident,:) but sometimes as an O/O even, that choice is not entirely yours. You are still at the mercy of dispatch. That is not something anyone but a specific carrier will be able to answer, but I was just trying to get a general feel for it.

I'm a little concerned that getting an older truck will limit my lease opportunities somewhat, but researching that is just another step in the process. Looking at things from the carrier’s point of view, as long as the truck was visually appealing, and in sound mechanical condition, I would think that better dependability would be more desirable than a newer pollution controlled vehicle. After all, they want their loads there on time, every time. Constant break downs not only affect the truck owner, they also impact the carrier. Although, in spite of my own press releases, I have been wrong before. If there are any recruiters hanging out in here feel free to chime in.

Having been out of it for a while, Are 2003 vehicles "pre-EGR"? Meaning they started hanging all of the pollution stuff on the engine starting in 2004? (for the most part).

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the advice! One of the hard things to get a handle on is what to expect in earnings. That it depends on how much you want to run, and how long you're willing to stay out should be pretty self-evident,:) but sometimes as an O/O even, that choice is not entirely yours. You are still at the mercy of dispatch. That is not something anyone but a specific carrier will be able to answer, but I was just trying to get a general feel for it.

I'm a little concerned that getting an older truck will limit my lease opportunities somewhat, but researching that is just another step in the process. Looking at things from the carrier’s point of view, as long as the truck was visually appealing, and in sound mechanical condition, I would think that better dependability would be more desirable than a newer pollution controlled vehicle. After all, they want their loads there on time, every time. Constant break downs not only affect the truck owner, they also impact the carrier. Although, in spite of my own press releases, I have been wrong before. If there are any recruiters hanging out in here feel free to chime in.

Having been out of it for a while, Are 2003 vehicles "pre-EGR"? Meaning they started hanging all of the pollution stuff on the engine starting in 2004? (for the most part).

Yes, for the most part. Ive heard of some '03s having egr and Ive heard of 04s that didnt....hearsay in both cases. Just be sure you know what your looking at and look for yourself.

It will limit you with some carriers. The fact that the pre-emissions engines are nearing the 10 y/o mark for even the 03's means that most of them are showing a lot of miles too. The sad part is you could actually spend $40-$50k reconditioning a pre-egr truck and still be money ahead imo. The fuel mileage alone would justify the expense compared to some of the egr engines.

As for the work. If your a good driver, make your appointments on time (this is expedite, time critical freight for the most part) and just do your job, thats really all a dispatcher cares about. They just want to know that when you say "gotcha covered" that you will actually have them covered.

Where is home for you? Apologies if I missed that somewhere.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Mr. Moderator, I'm sure you can move it to where ever it would be more suitable, if you deem it so, however I think his questions and discussion would benefit anyone thinking of getting into expiditing.
Welcome Center is really more for introductions and telling us more about yourself. Topics that will help newbies really belong here in the Newbies Paradise Forum (where they will learn to spell "expediting" :D)

Last edited:

wbmillerkc

Active Expediter
Welcome Center is really more for introductions and telling us more about yourself. Topics that will help newbies really belong here in the Newbies Paradise Forum (where they will learn to spell "expediting" :D)

LOL..... So noted.
Sory, mi spel cheaker waz on the frittzz.

wbmillerkc

Active Expediter
Yes, for the most part. Ive heard of some '03s having egr and Ive heard of 04s that didnt....hearsay in both cases. Just be sure you know what your looking at and look for yourself.

It will limit you with some carriers. The fact that the pre-emissions engines are nearing the 10 y/o mark for even the 03's means that most of them are showing a lot of miles too. The sad part is you could actually spend $40-$50k reconditioning a pre-egr truck and still be money ahead imo. The fuel mileage alone would justify the expense compared to some of the egr engines.

As for the work. If your a good driver, make your appointments on time (this is expedite, time critical freight for the most part) and just do your job, thats really all a dispatcher cares about. They just want to know that when you say "gotcha covered" that you will actually have them covered.

Where is home for you? Apologies if I missed that somewhere.

No worries... Kansas City is home. From what I've read it's sort of on the edge of a dead zone for freight, but my impression is that St. Louis has plenty of loads in and out. But that's based on very limited perceptions from what I’ve read here. I may be completely wrong.

I used to run what they called time loads of newspaper flyers out of Chicago to San Fran all the time. Getting there…piece of cake, delivering 20 skids one at a time in all downtown locations… not so much, in spite of the additional drop pay. But I must admit, it was an education doing it in China Town.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
No worries... Kansas City is home. From what I've read it's sort of on the edge of a dead zone for freight, but my impression is that St. Louis has plenty of loads in and out. But that's based on very limited perceptions from what I’ve read here. I may be completely wrong.

I used to run what they called time loads of newspaper flyers out of Chicago to San Fran all the time. Getting there…piece of cake, delivering 20 skids one at a time in all downtown locations… not so much, in spite of the additional drop pay. But I must admit, it was an education doing it in China Town.

KC is on the edge of the freight lanes, but its almost like a freight point of its own... there are much worse places to be from. You'll do fine getting out of KC, with some patience. Plenty of loads go to KC, but one thing you can count is there will never be one going there when you want it too..lol. Thats the business.

The reason I was asking...you might want to spend some time over at the Flying J or at the Petro in Oak Grove. Both are popular hangouts for expediters. If you can catch a few willing to talk and show you their rigs whether it be sprinters or straight trucks....it might help you make your decisions.

Time definite is time definite whether your delivering steering wheels to an auto plant or toilet paper to a cruise ship :) I have done more than a few newspaper insert runs. One used to have 2 or 3 stops right there in KC.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On the blue menu bar above, just to the right of Forum, What's New, Help, My Profile, is the Notifications thingy. Click on it and it should tell you of any notifications like "Likes Received" and "Unread Personal Messaged".

Thingy is a technical term.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I just did....I had to check manually for it, probably don't have my profile set up correctly.

Note to other newbies on the board....check your PM folder while you're on here.... just in case.:p

No problem...I know it can be overlooked, especially for new members. Thats why I mentioned it.

I have to remind myself to look. My phone app doesnt shiw the notifications. Am I missing anything on that Turtle? Ive got the droid bionic.

wbmillerkc

Active Expediter
On the blue menu bar above, just to the right of Forum, What's New, Help, My Profile, is the Notifications thingy. Click on it and it should tell you of any notifications like "Likes Received" and "Unread Personal Messaged".

Thingy is a technical term.

Oh! You mean like MamaJama, or Hoobie Doobie.... it's an industry term.

Ok, I'll stop now.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have to remind myself to look. My phone app doesnt shiw the notifications. Am I missing anything on that Turtle? Ive got the droid bionic.
Droid Bionic here, too. No, the phone app won't show notifications within the app like the Web interface will, however, in the settings for the Tapatalk app (More, Settings, Notification) you can have it send notifications of PMs (and subscribed topics) to the notification bar on the phone. You can set the frequency with which it will check for new PMs, as well.

I have the EO settings set to e-mail me when I get a PM, so I have the Tapatalk notifications turned off. I recommend one or the other, not both. I do the e-mail thing because it's more immediate - someone sends me a PM, an e-mail is immediately sent, and I immediately get the e-mail notification on the phone. With the Tapatalk notification, you can set it to as often as every 15 minutes (waste of bandwidth and battery) or an infrequently as every 12 hours.