Peterbilt 335 Class 6 OK for EXpediting?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I notice a good bit of Peterbilt 335 trucks that are class 6 for sale, I know those are not as good for weight but how much can you haul once you get a sleeper and box on there legally? Class 7 is a option but is harder to find. A VNM 630 with the D11 would be awesome as well but big $

Last edited:

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
From what I see, you can get it with a gvw of up to 33,000 on a single axle but I'd be scared to dear of the engine options. The 6.7l cummins or the cat c7 look like what most of them are and those are pretty small diesels for otr work. But I also really think class 8 is the way to go. Why buy a 300,000 mile truck when you can get a 1,000,000 mile truck for very similar money.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Why not buy one of the old expediter services kw's? They still have some that they referb'd or you can buy some non-referb'd ones from stoops pretty cheap. Even if it has 700,000 on it you get @ least 300,000 more out of it for probably less money than a 335 would cost you.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As a class 6, I would likely say 26k. The front axle isn't usually a 12k axle. As to whether it is a good buy, all things are relevant.
Depends on the price and how you intend on use it.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a class 6, I would likely say 26k. The front axle isn't usually a 12k axle. As to whether it is a good buy, all things are relevant.
Depends on the price and how you intend on use it.

Use for expedite with 22 box and 72" sleeper. The KW and Peterbilt class 6 and 7 trucks are made just as good as the Class 8 trucks, it's all about how you treat them and maintain them like any other vehicle. Sorry don't have $80k to drop on a volvo with 500,000 miles. :) My range is 25-35k for truck plus then there is the box and sleeper for another 20k. Used sleeper that is. This is just a idea I'm tossing around may just wait another 2-3 yrs for truck price to fall even further and new stuff to come out on market. Sprinters are treating me ok so far and low operating cost.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Use for expedite with 22 box and 72" sleeper. The KW and Peterbilt class 6 and 7 trucks are made just as good as the Class 8 trucks, it's all about how you treat them and maintain them like any other vehicle. Sorry don't have $80k to drop on a volvo with 500,000 miles. :) My range is 25-35k for truck plus then there is the box and sleeper for another 20k. Used sleeper that is. This is just a idea I'm tossing around may just wait another 2-3 yrs for truck price to fall even further and new stuff to come out on market. Sprinters are treating me ok so far and low operating cost.

I would pay particular attention to the front axle rating. A class 6 probably has a 10k front end.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
The truck build doesn't make me nervous, I'd be nervous about that 6L or 7L engine. Those were built for a life of 400,000 miles or so and are disposable. You don't rebuild them, you buy a new one when it wears out. They are also typically hooked to allison transmissions and geared for city use. You said $45,000 to $55,000 is your limit. Y not buy a t660 or t600 for $35,000- $40,000 and have an engine that can be rebuilt, a eaton tranny that's easier to work on and will give you better mpg? I know it ain't a fine volvo, but you'd save a lot of money and have a better truck than a class 6 maxed out.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Class 6 or 7 are the same 33K truck, most newer 2010 and up CL6 truck steer axles are 12000 lbs. with large fleet companies. HOWEVER they are de-rated for 8,000ish drives are the usual 22K but de-rated to 18,000. Regardless of how they are speced the DOT sticker declaring the max GVW/GCVW is final.

Bob Wolf.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The truck build doesn't make me nervous, I'd be nervous about that 6L or 7L engine. Those were built for a life of 400,000 miles or so and are disposable. You don't rebuild them, you buy a new one when it wears out. They are also typically hooked to allison transmissions and geared for city use. You said $45,000 to $55,000 is your limit. Y not buy a t660 or t600 for $35,000- $40,000 and have an engine that can be rebuilt, a eaton tranny that's easier to work on and will give you better mpg? I know it ain't a fine volvo, but you'd save a lot of money and have a better truck than a class 6 maxed out.

Maybe. We have had many cat 3126's and cummins ISB's and ran them well over a million before a rebuild. That is a salesman's pitch in that you have to have a huge engine. We run both and there are pros and cons to both.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Maybe. We have had many cat 3126's and cummins ISB's and ran them well over a million before a rebuild. That is a salesman's pitch in that you have to have a huge engine. We run both and there are pros and cons to both.

And I guess that's a short coming of mine. I don't have much class 7 experience. My only class 7 dealings were renting from Ryder and Penske. Those would always be rag'd out. Probably had more to do with them being rental trucks. That being said, I love my class 8 trucks. I'm biased. I think they ride better, they climb hills better, and I like extended oil changes. Not sure you can do those with the smaller engines.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't recommend anything 2010 and newer but my 2003 DT466e coupled to an Allison 2000 trans has around 350K, and although I wont win a drag race it pulls like a draft horse and gets decent mileage. My only complaint, I wish the rear axle had a taller ratio. Also DT and HT engines can be rebuilt in the chassis and the cylinders have removable liners. But, when the meets the road, Its all about the maintenance.

Bob Wolf.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah here is a class 7 335 with a 315hp engine, kinda pricey for what it is but it's Idaho! Class 6 is more prevalent and less expensive.
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5143285

I'd say that is plenty of power for a truck that size. I'm no expert but I would say this truck was built to last, if peterbilt only bilt this engine to last 400k I'd think there sales numbers would be a lot lower. These trucks have a reputation they have to live by. I met a guy in Laredo that had one and he had nothing but positive things to say about it, you see them all the time here for sale. I'm on a budget here and I just want a solid truck that is versatile, if I want to run it coast to coast I can, if I want to stay local I can. It is not the greatest truck but certainly seems like a good starter.

I like the volvo vnm 630 only if i came with the 77 inch premium sleeper, seems hard to come by used. I wonder if bolt could extend the sleeper on this truck. I'm aiming for comfort, maneuverability and fuel economy.

http://www.generaltruck.com/PDFs/VNM_ss_web.pdf

Last edited:

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Yeah here is a class 7 335 with a 315hp engine, kinda pricey for what it is but it's Idaho! Class 6 is more prevalent and less expensive.
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5143285

I'd say that is plenty of power for a truck that size. I'm no expert but I would say this truck was built to last, if peterbilt only bilt this engine to last 400k I'd think there sales numbers would be a lot lower. These trucks have a reputation they have to live by. I met a guy in Laredo that had one and he had nothing but positive things to say about it, you see them all the time here for sale. I'm on a budget here and I just want a solid truck that is versatile, if I want to run it coast to coast I can, if I want to stay local I can. It is not the greatest truck but certainly seems like a good starter.

I like the volvo vnm 630 only if i came with the 77 inch premium sleeper, seems hard to come by used. I wonder if bolt could extend the sleeper on this truck. I'm aiming for comfort, maneuverability and fuel economy.

http://www.generaltruck.com/PDFs/VNM_ss_web.pdf

Try and find one with the eaton auto shift. It'll give you your best mpg. The px-8 is wet sleeve/rebuild able. 15,000 mile Pm's.