Pete 387

shourekl

Expert Expediter
Help i took a 2002 Pete 387 stretched it.At some docks i am bottoming out anyone else have this problem ?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Be more descriptive. When you say "bottoming out" what part of the truck is hitting the pavement?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

shourekl

Expert Expediter
Sorry my fuel tank has a bracket that if the loading dock is to steep i scrape.Example Windsor Chrysler docks by tha street.There is a fuel line coming out of the tank i do not want to snap.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It pretty much is a tough call depending on how many inches you are trying to recover.
The three options I see are the following;

1. put taller tires on your truck if it has low pro's.
2. move the fuel tanks forwards or backwards depending on where they are located. Be careful to take into account any weight adjustments with regards to the axles.
3. Purchase 1 foot compound ramps. They are kinda like a small speed bump. One foot prior to where your tanks would hit, you would drop these small ramps (speedbumps). That would raise it several inches.
Leave in place and use the same proceedure on exit. Kind of a pain in the winter but effective if you have to only use them in a rare instance. They are made of the same material a tire chok is made of.
You could also fabricate your own out of several pieces of wood.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I had the same problem with Freightliner Classic XL I had stretched.
Dave is dead on with the solutions. Best thing to do is move the tanks mounts up higher on the frame rails. Tall rubber will also gain some clearance. But at a bigger price tag. Tall rubber will also raise the overall height of the truck. I would move the tanks. Trust me. I bottomed out one time in New Mexico. Luckily did not puncture the tanks. But did a real nice job twisting up all the tanks straps. And cost me about a grand to fix. Those stainless straps are exepensive. But a hazmat cleanup is real expensive. So I guess I lucked out there. Good Luck.