Personal space in Sprinters

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
I've searched past threads but can't find the info. What kind of sleeping accomodations do you solo Sprinter drivers have? I have reservations of fold down beds in the cargo space. Smell from freight is my concern. Is it mostly a concern of lost revenue from three skids to two?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've searched past threads but can't find the info. What kind of sleeping accomodations do you solo Sprinter drivers have? I have reservations of fold down beds in the cargo space. Smell from freight is my concern. Is it mostly a concern of lost revenue from three skids to two?

For me I'd say it's just personal preference...I have a fold down bunk and 3 skid capacity. And sometimes I prefer to sleep in my chair....again personal choice. Most of my loads are for height anyways.

Jeff35

Seasoned Expediter
i pushed bulkhead back a little and made sleeper there with ref. and mic under it. also have cabnit above at roof.
with the sets all the way foward i still have a bed of 36"
cargo area is 12.3

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I have an '07, 170" wb extended. Before I put in my sleeper I had 15', 6" of cargo space. I measured 12' from the end and built the wall there, leaving me slightly over 40" for the sleeper. I attached a frame along the bulkhead wall and got a small mattress. The bed is 25" wide, which leaves me a little bit of space between the edge of the bed and the seats. I have storage under the bed and a couple cabinets between the bed and the seats. The one behind the driver's seat is only about as tall as the bed and holds my underwear and socks and also serves as a nightstand. The one behind the passenger seat is almost to the ceiling and has my printer/scanner/copier combo, portable DVD player, game system, DVDs, books, and extra beddings. I put a clothes rod between the top of that cabinet and the bulkhead wall and I hang my clothes there, so my clothes are hanging just above my feet while I'm sleeping. It's not a bad space.

About the extra revenue for three skids, I'm not sure how that would play out with another carrier. I utilize the space quite a bit because if I can't find a good expedite I'll combine LTLs. I get a fair amount of long loads over 8' long, but the bread and butter is still the one or two skids.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I used a camp cot. I left it out until a load required the space and then I folded it out of the way. Under load with something large, I slept on the floor on two sleeping pads that were normally on the cot. I bolted a vertical work shelf to the wall and floor behind the drivers seat for everything storable. Strapped an electric cooler to the floor behind the passenger seat. Removed passenger seat and installed computer stand and box for a scanner. No partition, it was life living with the freight. And professional camping at it's finest.

eb

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I have 108" of length available for freight .... my bunk mattress is 36" wide to allow enough area for my entire frame (I'm 6' 1" tall) if I lie on my side with my knees bent. The mattress sits up 2' off the floor so I have considerable depth in the bunk base for storage - I have no bulkhead so I have the entire area available for living space if I'm not loaded, although I rarely ever use it. If I want to stretch out I lie crossway (corner to corner) on the bunk and let my feet dangle.

Smells from the freight has never been a problem ....... me ....... well now, that's an entirely different issue .....

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I use a fold up bed along the drivers side of the cargo wall. I have it so it raises up to the ceiling when needed (which a lot of lately) so had less head room on drivers side but high skids I slide right in front of the wheel wells. The bed folds as well so actually takes up less space than full width of matress (tri fold). I did remove it over a year ago to run to Halifax as load took all space from behind the seats to rear doors and as I made it so was easy to remove it came out in literally minutes. Storage is with centre unit between seats and cloth units behind seats. Since I get home more often than I used to I reduced storage in this van to smaller and easily portable. Use compputer for music, movies, online stuff etc and gps so an all in one type system. Basically I travel rather light for this business as I do get home more often so that helps a lot.
Rob