percentage or milage

robertbarnes62

Rookie Expediter
i see some people pay a 60/40 split while others pay a milage pay. which seems to be better?

i was offered a .40/mile loaded and .20/mile unloaded in a sprinter van. does this seem right?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
i see some people pay a 60/40 split while others pay a milage pay. which seems to be better?

i was offered a .40/mile loaded and .20/mile unloaded in a sprinter van. does this seem right?

Sounds pretty decent. That is if owner is paying all fuel, tolls,etc.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
50% dh puts you at .33cpm. Less dh,higher pay.
If my math is right, this seems higher than I would expect.
Good luck.

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
i just wanted to check since i am new to this expedite service. i drove semi's over the road and mileage did well.

If you're running solo, (depending on the company) I would not expect more than 2k miles a week.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Probably out of thin air, to show an extreme example of headhead (dh - or driving while unloaded), and the fact that even at such a ridiculous deadhead (dh) figure you can make at least acceptable money ($).

robertbarnes62

Rookie Expediter
Probably out of thin air, to show an extreme example of headhead (dh - or driving while unloaded), and the fact that even at such a ridiculous deadhead (dh) figure you can make at least acceptable money ($).

well he is paying .20/cpm unloaded and .40/cpm loaded..

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I put in the 50% dh as a high figure. I've never done Van or Sprinter, but it shows that even with high dh you'll be able to afford to eat.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
well he is paying .20/cpm unloaded and .40/cpm loaded..
Right. 40 cents per loaded mile is pretty good. ANY cents for unloaded deadheaded miles is awesome. Most of the 60/40 splits, nor the per-mile pay setups, don't pay anything for unloaded miles. So if you get 40 loaded and 20 to go get it, and the owner is paying fuel and tolls, it's a good deal.

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I were contemplating this, I would ask to see the mileage breakdown for the last 6 months as a screen shot from the carrier's owner's page.

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One also has to clarify what encompasses unloaded miles. For instance, does that include the distance from the consignee to a layover? In other words, when does the unloaded mileage pay kick in?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
That may or may not be helpful.
I had an owner tell me he thought the last team in a particular truck was just looking for a place to live, not necessarily a job. A better indicator is talk to other Tristate drivers like Kickstarter and see what is possible over there.

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That may or may not be helpful.
I had an owner tell me he thought the last team in a particular truck was just looking for a place to live, not necessarily a job. A better indicator is talk to other Tristate drivers like Kickstarter and see what is possible over there.

Tri State? I didn't see where the OP said this was Tri State. I must have missed that post.