$ per mile

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
What is the going rate of O/O? I see panther pays 77cent for cargo vans. Is this alot or do other companies pay more or less...
Any input will help...thanks

jg

Expert Expediter
I believe Tri-State pays .80 per mile loaded. Also pays .15 for deadhead miles to pick up load (after first 50 miles), and to be relocated to a busier location. The loaded miles are current info, the bonus info is a year old, but I believe it is still the same.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
FedEx Custom Critical pays 58% of the customers tariff to the O/O Although FDXCC usually has premium charges for premium service, they have several layers of tariffs, some of which seem to be the equal of the largest discounts of other national carriers.

From 1 Jan until today, my van (B unit) has averaged $1.19 per loaded mile. This may be a bit higher than this company's average van because, as a Team for part of the year, we've had several longer runs.

Terry

Cameron33

Expert Expediter
I'm looking to get started in driving a cargo van. I currently drive a semi so experiance isnt a problem. What I'd like to know is is the money good in cargo van and in general do most companies keep you moving or is there alot of down time? Also, ive been looking at a Ford E350 and wanted to know if anyone uses one and how they like it or is there something better. Any info anyone wants to give will be greatly appreciated.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As you are shopping, it is not just the per mile pay that one should look at. For example; what is there fuel surcharge, insurance , deadhead amounts ect. We drive a straight truck and as of late, have been getting fuel surcharges of about .10 to .15 per mile. That is significant when doing milage calculations. As of right now, Panther has given us the biggest bang for the buck. Other folks have come up short when we try and compare. Just my opinion and experience of course.
Davekc

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I've talked to a couple of different companies about a cube van and both told me I'd gross about $1200 - $1300 a week . Going with a 9600 GVW lets you avoid all DOT requirements and not have to bother with logs (unless you haul HAZMAT ) , scales , and split speed limits . I originally wanted a diesel but a lot of expediters prefer Chevy gas vans .