Penny stocks and beyond

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
If you want to learn the stock market lingo, just play some penny stocks. For 20 bucks you can get say 20,000 shares for example...Its a fun way to play the stock market game and learn. I do it for a hobby sort of and if some penny stock goes south, well 20 bucks is not so bad a loss, but you can buy several penny stocks and have a hobby on the road..Who knows, one of them may take off and there you go, if that 20,000 shares goes to a 5o cents a share or a dollar a share, you did good. Hey, you could buy another sprinter..................lol

Swamp30

Active Expediter
Actually considered doing this..my trouble was finding a place to buy where the trade fee wasnt so high. 7 dollar trades are alot on penny stocks

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
yes, the trade part can be high, but its an investment and a hobby for me, a learning experience, and cheaper then golf, lol.................I m terrible at golf .

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Penny stocks can actually be easy to make money off of but it takes some research and understanding of a pump and dump. I got a 50% ROI in a month because I found CBIS had done their PR push the same time in 2011 and 2012 so I figured they would do it this year as well. If you have money that can sit in stocks for awhile your research could be limited to just finding a penny stock that had a spike. This would indicate they purchase PR and will likely do so again in the future, so you can purchase it and set up a good til cancelled(GTC) limit order to sell so you don't have to watch it. The other way to make money off of them is to wait until a company pops up on the radar because of the spike then short it. This can be a little difficult because your brokerage has to own the stock for you to borrow it which is less likely when it is a lower quality. The other issue is if you trade on a margin to much you become a pattern day trader and must have $25k in your account. When you're dealing with these stocks it is best to view it as gambling and be prepared to lose some while you learn.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Actually considered doing this..my trouble was finding a place to buy where the trade fee wasnt so high. 7 dollar trades are alot on penny stocks

There are some brokerages that are a little cheaper. I use Scottrade which charges $7 and 1 or 2% for stocks under a $1. I typically invest an amount that makes that charge worth while. Even if you purchase a $100 of a stock the total purchase price is only 8 or 9% but penny stocks go up in large percentages. I just bought PCMC which jumped over 37% today so profit on a $100 would be a little over $28 which is good. Obviously as you learn and get some confidence investing larger amounts like $1k would mean you make around $360 for the same trade.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I invest in ammunition. I bought 1000 rounds of 5.56MM in Jan. for $386. It is now selling for $1499.00 and climbing. I SHOULD have bought 10,000 rounds, drove up to the PA/NY state lines and sold it to NY residents, cash only sales.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just got 1000 5.56 in ohio for 550.00

That stuff is getting very hard to find. Most online sources are out of stock. You did good. Was it 55gr or 62gr? FMJ? Did you go there? Did they have rifles?

Check out THIS site. It is AMAZING how far this has gone. Imagine, NO STOCK of any kind in the store. They are kinda out of business.

Georgia Arms

One of the few places that has it. They list $559 per 500 rounds for Lake City 62gr ammo..

http://www.surplusammo.com/5-56-xm-...-ss109-lake-city-us-military-500-rounds-bulk/

Last edited: