Payload Question?

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
Vans max payload is at about 3500..tires are 3100 I do no take loads over 3000lbs. Now my question is this. Same van with winter tires rated at a load rate of 2100lbs. Should I take smaller loads? Say maybe 2200?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Vans max payload is at about 3500..tires are 3100 I do no take loads over 3000lbs. Now my question is this. Same van with winter tires rated at a load rate of 2100lbs. Should I take smaller loads? Say maybe 2200?
Rating on tires is per tire, so theoretically that's 4000# across an axle. Look on the door of your truck, if it says 10 ply or load range E, that's what you need. 3/4 ton and 1 ton should only use E. It's not just carrying weight, it's squatting and handling. Wrong tire = Bad!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: piper1 and Turtle

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
ok so if I bought the wrong tire then should not carry 3000lbs. However since the tire is still rated for 2100 lbs can I carry up to 2100 lbs?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
ok so if I bought the wrong tire then should not carry 3000lbs. However since the tire is still rated for 2100 lbs can I carry up to 2100 lbs?
If you bought the wrong tire you need to go back and get the right tire.
WOM nailed it with Wrong tire = Bad!

You can always go to a higher load index on a tire, but never down to a lower index. You can't go to a lower index, simply carry less weight because of it, and think you're going to be fine. Using a lower load index tire changes the safety and handling characteristics, yeah, yeah, yeah, yada, yada, yada (I'll get to that in a bit). It doesn't matter if you only load the vehicle to the limits of the lower load index, or if you are empty and carrying no freight, the safety and handling characteristics are still going to be altered. They'll be altered a lot more if you're loaded near to the limit of the tires, to be sure, but it's gonna happen regardless. If your vehicle calls for Load Range E tires, and you install Load Range D tires, the instant the tires are installed the tires are overloaded.

What do the "yada, yada, yada" details mean? It means you put stress on the casing and construction. The tires will run very hot. In the summer a blowout is likely. So is the very high risk of a sidewall puncture do to the stress. But even more likely, like damn near guaranteed likely, are perpetual slow leaks, and you'll always be running on too low of a tire pressure, even if you add air every couple of days.

A replacement tire must "meet or exceed the OE tire’s load carrying capacity.” That means in the event of an accident, and it goes to court, somebody's gonna get an enema by a judge. If you made the call on those tires, that's you. If the seller snookered you into using them, it's on them.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Take the tires back to whoever sold them to you....they should have never sold them to you if they knew what vehicle they were going on.

The number on the tire does NOT directly relate to your payload capacity....at all.

There are E load rated winter tires (Michelin makes one...I've used it) but keep in mind these tires are made of SOFT rubber....so heavy commercial use will result in a fairly rapid wear.

(Turtle beat me to it....fast Turtle!)

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
I thought he should have not sold them to me. Course my vehicle my job and I should have known better. Okay..the back tires are E rate I believe at 3200lbs. The front tires I bought are P rated 2100...so I need to buy some e rated 3200 tires.