Pay

Michael043

Seasoned Expediter
As an expiditer driving for some one in a straight truck. Staying busy how much can you expect to make a week?

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
My honest answer = not enough to support a wife and child or children at home. Single dedicated to living out of a truck enough to get by on.

The real $ in this business is owning your own truck and being in charge of your own destiney. Otherwise to many pockets to fill, and profitability for everyone, thats just not possible in this business climate. Fair enough?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
For a solo it is difficult because of the HOS. With teams it is a much different story. We have teams that have easily out earned owner operators at other carriers.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I'm not in a straight truck,but there lots of veriables.Are you going to run team with your wife,you going to run solo,or are you going to run team with the owner or another individual.As was stated,beause of the new HOS laws,this business is very difficult,being a solo driver,but with that said,there are many drivers that actually make more than the owners of the truck they are driving,and then there are individuals that just cant make it in expediting.This is a tough business,we can make a lot one week ,then not see a paycheck the next.I know this didn't help much,but thats my feeling on the subject

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Depends on a lot of things. The smallest 1099 we sent this year was for a little over 50K, our drivers work on percentage with us paying all truck expenses.

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
It all depends on what your cost are? Do you pay for fuel or does the owner..what about tolls etc? If your paying for the fuel don't forget about all that DH to get a load, to to move to a better area. My huband and I teamed for 52% profit plus fuel surcharge. Some weeks we actually went into the negative! We decided to try a new route...we are with a new owner that does 40/60 split. We get the 40% and don't pay for fuel etc... I think it will be less stressful on both of us.