Cargo Van Pay for parking

brohammerllc

Expert Expediter
Just got off the phone with another driver. He is upset that the truckstop where he is parked has now designated ten spots for "pay to park" reserved parking. He doesn't like the idea that the spots should be reserved.

I understand completely why truck stops are doing this now. With the limited number of spots available, a driver wants to insure that he/she has a spot to park. An with the electronic on-board logs coming, I think the need for "reserved" parking is going to increase as more drivers can no longer "cheat" on their paper logs.

But I also think that truckstops should start looking at who is parking in their lots. Look at all the campers who are parking for free in the lots. I don't mean the ones that are in-transit from factory to sales point, but those folks who are just too damn cheap to pay for a camping area spot. And the truckers who park their truck in the truck stop, hop into their private cars, and go home for their break?

I drive a small expedite truck. I usually park in the front parking lot--I hate to go into the area where the big trucks park and take up one of their spots for my cargo van. But now days, if I get there too late in the day, I have to fight the bobtail tractors, snowbird campers, or homeless folks living in the parking lot. Perhaps I might just be willing to pay a few dollars for a reserved spot?

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hear you. I drive a straight truck. I usually look for a short spot in the back. Usually they have a lamp post or a corner spot that is short. But a friend was in NYS 2 weeks ago and paid $13 at the TA there for VIP parking.

TDave

Expert Expediter
The truck stops charge because they know that truck parking is becoming scarce and its nothing more than pure profit. I mean all they gave to do is repaint and put a few cones up low cost there.....it sucks. However I try to get there earlier or I find 3am local time I can normally find a place to park

Reactions: neilblack

tknight

Veteran Expediter
There is also the 50 gal min purchase and or the 20.00 in store purchase , it all started in ct. Where the property tax is so damm high they needed to just charge for the spaces to break even. I understand it take a clean up crew and repairs to a large lot and they need to offset the costs. I don't enjoy it but it's a sign of the economy struggling to survive . If hate to think what property tax is up in the north east.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
There are times I would gladly pay the fee to know there was a reserved parking spot waiting, a little less happy when general parking starts costing! The reserved spots are nice when you know you will be in late and likely no spots, just one less thing to worry about as not everyone can be off the road before dark when they are typically few spots left anymore.

TS

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Pay lots are kind of a cash grab, because the market will bear it. The places where there are more trucks than spots, that's where you'll find pay lots. Most of the truck stops in South Florida, the east coast, and in the major cities of California. The Pilot in Laredo used to be a pay lot, until the Flying J and the TA openned up, and even at that I think the TA still has you buying fuel if you want to park in the back for more than a couple of hours. It prevents people from parking there for weeks at a time.

Pay Reserved parking, on the other hand, is something that came out of a request from truckers.

For cargo vans this isn't even an issue, as vans aren't limited to truckstop parking. There are simply too many alternatives to truckstop parking. If truckstops want to have paid reserved parking out front, I'm fine with that, it's their lot,they can do what they want. There are other convenience stores and parking lots I can use

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
They have the requirement for 50 gals or $20 in store/food purchase. They have that in a couple of places TX, CT, NJ and some others.

The $13 VIP is different. That is charged at all TA/Petros.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I spend over $30,000 a year on fuel. I think that's enough to cover my parking spot.
Plus I eat in there overpriced restaurants.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I make a point of not sleeping in a truck-stop unless there's absolutely no other choice. Considering that I drive a van--- there's usually other choices.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Look at all the trash a lot of these filthy, nasty cretins out here toss from the cabs of their trucks anywhere they please with garbage cans in walking distance. Saw a YouTube video the other day of some lazy jerk off tossing his trash outside the truck onto the ground. Of course someone has to be paid to go pick up that mess after those babies. The pavement smells like a sewer. There is a video of a driver at a Love's in Texas pooping in broad daylight light for the whole world to see right behind his bobtail truck. Most trucks in the lot are squatters taking up space in the parking lot and never spending any money in the truck stop for anything other than fuel, which is low margin anyways. The benefit of paid, reserved parking is cheap asses won't pay for it so if you want a spot there will be one. I don't have a problem with it.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I spend over $30,000 a year on fuel. I think that's enough to cover my parking spot.
Plus I eat in there overpriced restaurants.

I'm sorry, but a truck stop only has to sale you fuel and not give anything else to the driver of they don't want. They charge in some places for parking and I don't blame them of all truck stop chains charged for parking.
If drivers would stop throwing their piss bottles and trash everywhere but in a trash can then free parking just might come back in some places.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
And when the major truck stops start charging me for parking or stop giving me free showers I will purchase my fuel somewhere else. There are a lot of independents and other places selling diesel cheaper than major truck stops. QT has truck diesel fueling much cheaper. Where will I park? Most Walmarts allow us to park straight trucks there overnight. Also Lowes, Home Depot, major grocery stores, rest areas, etc.

Hamman77

Active Expediter
Driver
Just got off the phone with another driver. He is upset that the truckstop where he is parked has now designated ten spots for "pay to park" reserved parking. He doesn't like the idea that the spots should be reserved.

I understand completely why truck stops are doing this now. With the limited number of spots available, a driver wants to insure that he/she has a spot to park. An with the electronic on-board logs coming, I think the need for "reserved" parking is going to increase as more drivers can no longer "cheat" on their paper logs.

But I also think that truckstops should start looking at who is parking in their lots. Look at all the campers who are parking for free in the lots. I don't mean the ones that are in-transit from factory to sales point, but those folks who are just too **** cheap to pay for a camping area spot. And the truckers who park their truck in the truck stop, hop into their private cars, and go home for their break?

I drive a small expedite truck. I usually park in the front parking lot--I hate to go into the area where the big trucks park and take up one of their spots for my cargo van. But now days, if I get there too late in the day, I have to fight the bobtail tractors, snowbird campers, or homeless folks living in the parking lot. Perhaps I might just be willing to pay a few dollars for a reserved spot?

Hamman77

Active Expediter
Driver

But I also think that truckstops should start looking at who is parking in their lots. Look at all the campers who are parking for free in the lots. I don't mean the ones that are in-transit from factory to sales point, but those folks who are just too **** cheap to pay for a camping area spot. And the truckers who park their truck in the truck stop, hop into their private cars, and go home for their break?

Hamman77

Active Expediter
Driver

Just to keep things on the up-n-up, us expediters that use paper logs don't "cheat". We use "creative logging". That way we stay legal.

Reactions: tknight

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looks like pilot/j is jumping in the game of paid reserved parking. Saw a sign at walton for a program called DIBS.

Reactions: ntimevan

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As things go along I'll have to see what develops. If I have to pay to park-- for a length of time, not just running in to use the restroom and get a cup of coffee-- I will have to consider the cost of parking at the truck-stop and using its services against the cost of digs at a motel-- where I get a bed, a shower, the aforementioned cup of joe and very often a "continental breakfast" before getting under way again. As Winter sets in with its bone-chilling cold, the cost of the truck-stop parking might seem more out of line than it does in more moderate weather.