Pay for a sprinter driver

pwrwagn

Active Expediter
I don't expect there's very many of them, but what should a sprinter driver (not owner, just a driver, paid in cents per mile) normally be paid?

Is $0.30 / mile good or bad for a long distance (not local) driver?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The one owner I know of that pays per mile pays .40 cents plus driver gets all extras like hand unload, detention the ect. He owns about a dozen sprinters.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Going by the Rule of Thirds, based on the current going rates, driver pay should be about 35 cents per mile for loaded miles for a cargo van. Factoring in the 20+ MPG of a Sprinter, and thus fewer operating costs, should bring it up to about 40 cents per loaded mile.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I pay $0.40 per mile but I expect professional drivers out at least 80% of the time and follow instructions from dispatch to the letter while making sure the truck is maintained properly, among other things. If you want top pay, you'd better be a top performer!

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I don't expect there's very many of them, but what should a sprinter driver (not owner, just a driver, paid in cents per mile) normally be paid?

Is $0.30 / mile good or bad for a long distance (not local) driver?

Who is paying for fuel?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
By they you don't mean the driver do you?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
60/40 on the loaded miles with the side paying fuel getting 60 plus 100% of the FSC.
Work pay, i.e. hand load/unload etc., 100% to the person doing it.
Time pay, i.e. detention etc. 50/50 since time passes equally for the driver doing the waiting and the owner whose vehicle is sitting.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
.30 is a little low .27 is ridiculous. If the owner wants to keep good drivers he should bump it up. If the vans are getting the rates they should .40 is workable.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
problem I've always had is most owners I've heard don't pay any deadhead miles...if they ask you to move/relocate it is on the driver to donate their time...also them 250 mile DH's to make a pick up also go unpaid....

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I pay $0.40 per mile but I expect professional drivers out at least 80% of the time and follow instructions from dispatch to the letter while making sure the truck is maintained properly, among other things. If you want top pay, you'd better be a top performer!

That's not bad. 6 days off per month. 2 days off per week out. Most on this kind of setup only give 1 day per week.

Curious tho, what kind of creature comforts do you have in your vehicles for the drivers and is that .40 per loaded or all miles driven before and after pickup? What's the max limit you allow for dh for home time? Any benefits? 1099 or w2? Layover pay?

Note: I only ask these questions for the new folks looking at this kind of setup. There is a host of other questions one should ask on this type of setup.

In the big truck world, "company" drivers that run for .22 to .38 per mile (some was all miles, some was just loaded) are usually w2 with health ins and 401. Least that's how it was back in the 90's when I drove for a couple of big truck carriers. May have changed now. The training companies like Stevens and England aren't bad for the new person to get a CDL. I think now tho they have a 2 year contract for the schooling. Back then it was one year if you went their school or reimbursement for tuition from outside schools. For a single person back then it wasn't a bad gig.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app