Passwords

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My son in law, known as The Computer Genius, among other things, told me that my passwords should be: Not a word that can be found in the dictionary, not something that anyone could guess, even those who know me too well, memorable, so I don't need to write it down & post it near the computer, and finally: it should be changed pretty regularly.
I thought "yeah, right!" But then, I figured out how to do it, & am thinking maybe others might like it too.
Just make an anagram of a song title! Not one someone would expect, like I don't use "I'm on my way", but something you don't listen to - there's an endless supply of song titles, and you can even write hints for memory aids, that wouldn't give it away, if you need to. I love it when the solution is that easy! Now, if I could just figure out how to get rid of the start-up dialogue box for a program I deleted a long time ago....:+

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
That sounds like a great idea how simple thats wonderful, I love it I like it some ideas like it. Oh by the way what is an anagram.}>

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
To make it easy on you here is the meaning

A word or phrase formed by reordering the letters of another word or phrase, such as satin to stain.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yikes! Thanks, JJ & Tony - 'anagram' was not the word I wanted, I meant 'mnemonics', where you use the first letter of each word of a song title, or phrase, to create it: "you don't have to call me darlin, darlin" would be ydhtcmdd, etc. Anagrams wouldn't work well at all for the purpose - too easily guessed. Can I plead late-night brain strain, lol? :+

stanleyshenko

Seasoned Expediter
Two other things here.

If the system recognizes upper and lower case you should do so. 'You don't have to call me darlin darlin' = ydhtcmdd can be 'YdhtcmDD' to add more strength to it. Also, if the system allows it, try and add special characters such as @!$*&|^|_+ to make it even better: 'YdhtcmDD!*&'

A password like that would be very difficult to crack.

Stanley

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
While in retailing we used a coding system to put our cost on each price label.

The system goes like this. First you come up with a word (or words) that contain 10 letters,none of which is repeated.Example "PATHFINDER". This substitutes for the numbers 1 through 0. If you wanted to code $75.98 you would use NFED.

I use this same system to keep track of my passwords. I never use the same password for different sties.Of course you need a log of these passwords, but you do not have to worry about anyone seeing the list because it is written in code.

In the above example PATHFINDER can generate many passwords.
DANDER(827890)
HATTER(423390)
DARN(8207)
(and so on)
And SO on)

MDB1

Expert Expediter
Cheri, I think the word you are really looking for is "acronym."

According to Webster, "mnemonics" is "assisting or intended to assist memory" or "a technique of improving the memory." While, "acronym" is "a word formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term."

Just trying to be helpful not critical.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Acronym, anagram - anyone could get confused, lol - but they are both mnemonics, anyway.... This is an example of the way my brain is so stuffed with useless trivia, that I can't remember the stuff I want, sometimes. Thanks - 'preciate it. :7

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Best thing to do is not to use words. Most hack programs take words out of the dictionary and put it in as a password. So if you add something add some numbers to it. Best is not to use words. I've used before passwords like 1qaz2wsx the first 2 rows. Easy to remember and hard to crack because there is numbers and letter. NEVER USE YOUR PETS NAMES!!! i would say most people use their pets names to make their password.