Partner problems

Nathanielwg

New Recruit
Driver
Ok so I'm new to expediting but I am having problems with my partner and it's only like 4 days in. What do you guys suggest? I should only have to be with him for 3 weeks max because he is "training" me. After that I can go solo until my brother finishes with getting everything he needs for his license. Any suggestions would be helpful.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Depends what the issue is. If not a big one, it might be worth it to suck it up and get your training in. 3 weeks will be gone before you know it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Grizzly

Nathanielwg

New Recruit
Driver
Thanks that's probably what I am going to do. I am new to all of this and dont want this to color my perception of the expedite business.

Nathanielwg

New Recruit
Driver
I've had my class b cdl for over 6 years now so driving the truck was never going to be a problem for me all I needed help or training with was paperwork and just general guidance on picking up and delivering loads. But this dude nitpicks EVERYTHING I do behind the wheel and not in a professional or conducive way! The irony is he is arguably worse behind the wheel! He keeps trying to force me to drive his way which IMO is inefficient, unsafe, and just generally unnecessary. Plus he smokes with the windows up. Is it me?

Nathanielwg

New Recruit
Driver
The owner has never met him but swears he is the best driver he has. They cant keep a steady team in his truck though and I'm starting to see why

Reactions: rebs

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wouldn't spend 3 hours with a smoker but I'm difficult. The good part is 4 days is already 20% of 3 weeks and if it's 3 weeks max I'd be pushing the owner for it to be more like 10 days max. Good luck.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The owner has never met him but swears he is the best driver he has. They cant keep a steady team in his truck though and I'm starting to see why
Just a regular driver
I'm a little confused, (easy to do lately, just ask my wife). This guy is the best driver this owner has, uses him as trainer, but has never met him....

Any fleet owners care to offer advise?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't spend 3 hours with a smoker but I'm difficult. The good part is 4 days is already 20% of 3 weeks and if it's 3 weeks max I'd be pushing the owner for it to be more like 10 days max. Good luck.

Sounds like the owner just wants a team truck for a while until your brother is ready. In your case, 3 weeks seems a little over kill. But I'm guessing it's more of the owner wanting to maximize the in between time. As far as the 3 weeks with the co-driver. I'd suck it up. It will go by fast. I did 3 months with a co-driver I hated and treated me like crap. I eventually had it out with him, in a professional way of course, confronting him with the issues. The situation did improve, but the damage had been done to continue in this situation. Maybe talk to the owner about it, or just bite your tongue for a few more weeks ;)

Reactions: dalscott and Moot

Nathanielwg

New Recruit
Driver
Sounds like the owner just wants a team truck for a while until your brother is ready. In your case, 3 weeks seems a little over kill. But I'm guessing it's more of the owner wanting to maximize the in between time. As far as the 3 weeks with the co-driver. I'd suck it up. It will go by fast. I did 3 months with a co-driver I hated and treated me like crap. I eventually had it out with him, in a professional way of course, confronting him with the issues. The situation did improve, but the damage had been done to continue in this situation. Maybe talk to the owner about it, or just bite your tongue for a few more weeks ;)
Thanks for the suggestions I think I'm gonna follow most of yalls advice and just night my lip. The owner thinks this guy is God's gift to expediting and if I as the new guy try and tell him otherwise it wont look good for me. That being said today was a better day so hopefully I can get through this fast!

Nathanielwg

New Recruit
Driver
I'm a little confused, (easy to do lately, just ask my wife). This guy is the best driver this owner has, uses him as trainer, but has never met him....

Any fleet owners care to offer advise?
Their only relationship is over the phone it's easy to form a positive opinion of someone if you've never had to spend any time with them. That's being said I'm the new guy so if I try and tell the owner that he may be a little mistaken then it will probably backfire on me. So I will just bite my lip and grin Nd bear it!

Nathanielwg

New Recruit
Driver
Update: so after being cussed out and griped at and insulted daily I finally had enough and confronted him about it. His response was that I was being a pu$$y millenial, a little prick, an a$$ hole, and that I needed to just shut my mouth and just agree with everything he says. Any suggestions? So far this is my experience of expediting and it's not a very good one.

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Tell him to pound sand, but only after you have brought the issue up with the owner again. Be sure to impress upon the owner exactly what has transpired... if the owner will not support you, then he can go pound sand as well. There are other owners out there. Sorry to hear of your issues, no one should have to endure.

Last edited:

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
Tell him to pound sand, but only after you have brought the issue up with the owner again. Be sure to impress upon the owner exactly what has transpired... if the owner will not support you, then he can go pound sand as well. There are other owners out there. Sorry to year of your issues, no one should have to endure.
I agree. No reason to have to put up with such treatment. If the fleet owner condones such activity, I would certainly question whether or not I would want to work for such an owner. Actually, no I wouldn't question it, I wouldn't be working for that fleet owner.

Nathanielwg

New Recruit
Driver
I'm gonna wait till he goes on vacation in a week and then tell the owner that I never want to work with him again. I hope the owner doesnt get mad at me because like I said earlier he thinks this guy is God's gift to expediting and he is probably gonna be resistant to anything I say.

rebs

New Recruit
Driver
New to this venture also, My thoughts are this, There is a driver shortage. There are many many companies out there. This trainer of yours has the wool pulled over the owners eyes as to his professional persona. He may be very good at this job, That does not mean he is a team player or a great trainer. Also document everything..Luck to you..