Paragraphs???

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Whatever happened to paragraphs and formatting and writing to be legible and readable?

TDave

Expert Expediter
You know I've wondered this a couple of times! I kinda atribute this to laziness? I guess proper sentence structure goes out the window as technology progress ~sigh~

Sent from my LG-LS970 using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whatsthebigdeal?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
You will have to consult Dr. Harbrace aka: The Turtle

But till he gets here, read this: The Harbrace, English Grammar.

Continuously evolving to address the needs of today's students, THE HODGES HARBRACE HANDBOOK, 18E, guides student writers in developing their understanding of the rhetorical situation. This understanding enables even those students with minimal experience or confidence in their writing to learn to write more effectively--to choose the most pertinent information, arrange it well, and use the most appropriate language when writing for an audience. This grammar-first handbook provides comprehensive coverage of grammar, style, punctuation, mechanics, writing, and research--all presented in the context of rhetorical concerns, including the writer, reader, message, context, and purpose. Like all of its predecessors, the 18th edition provides both teachers and students the ease of reference and attention to detail that have made the HARBRACE handbooks THE standard of reliability since 1941. Aww, the joys of learning.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There actually is a difference in writing for print journalism and internet writing. Not sure of the details but my daughter was telling me about it a couple weeks ago, she has classes in both and was saying switching back and forth can be confusing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There actually is a difference in writing for print journalism and internet writing. Not sure of the details but my daughter was telling me about it a couple weeks ago, she has classes in both and was saying switching back and forth can be confusing.
There are many differences, like with Internet journalism you aren't really constrained by space like you are in print. And the fact that people tend to "scan" Internet articles rather than read every word as with print, so you have to present it as being more easily readable, to better choose words that stand out, make sure not to have more than one idea in a paragraph (because they won't even see sentences past the first one or two), and break paragraphs up into smaller chunks sometimes using just one sentence per paragraph.

But eliminating paragraphs altogether and not using basic grammar syntax, so as to make it less readable, is not recommended for either print or electronic journalism.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Continuously evolving to address the needs of today's students, THE HODGES HARBRACE HANDBOOK, 18E, guides student writers in developing their understanding of the rhetorical situation. This understanding enables even those students with minimal experience or confidence in their writing to learn to write more effectively--to choose the most pertinent information, arrange it well, and use the most appropriate language when writing for an audience. This grammar-first handbook provides comprehensive coverage of grammar, style, punctuation, mechanics, writing, and research--all presented in the context of rhetorical concerns, including the writer, reader, message, context, and purpose. Like all of its predecessors, the 18th edition provides both teachers and students the ease of reference and attention to detail that have made the HARBRACE handbooks THE standard of reliability since 1941.

If that is the exact unedited content they need to reread their own material. That should be broken into two paragraphs for readability.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If that is the exact unedited content they need to reread their own material. That should be broken into two paragraphs for readability.
It's the publisher's catalog entry for the book description. In that context, more than one paragraph would actually make it less readable.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You know I've wondered this a couple of times! I kinda atribute this to laziness? I guess proper sentence structure goes out the window as technology progress ~sigh~

Sent from my LG-LS970 using EO Forums mobile app

Were the misspellings and lack of punctuation a joke?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app