PantherRecrtr

PantherRecrtr

Expert Expediter
Well, we've only had this program now for only about a year or so. I don't know exactly how many drivers we have on this program. When I talk to a driver for the first time and he or she mentions that they aren't interested in running Canadian Freight I ask them why. If the issue is because of a criminal conviction, I would have to discuss with the driver the details behind the conviction to see if the person could qualify.
Hope this helps.
Adam.

trump

Expert Expediter
But what if a driver has a clean record. But does not want to go through the hassle of crossing the border. I run Canada and I Think it is the biggest pain. Requirement of my employment at this time.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
From what we were told at panther orientation, if your getting $1.30/mi. and request 'no canada' your rate per mile drops to $1.15 for ALL MILES!!!!!
Your definitely penalized from panther if you don't want the hassle of crossing the border, which I think is a total rip-off!!!

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Last year with Panther, as a cargo van O/O, it was .77/mile for Canada, and .75/mile for those wanting to avoid Canada. I didn't want to come out of the shoot already down 2 cents, so I took Canada runs. And I never really had any problems crossing the border in either direction. My problem with Canada was that Ontario was basically Western Michigan. I coudn't get AWAY from Canada. There was very rarely anything coming out to haul, so a deadhead back over to Michigan meant a short haul right back across the border. And the "25.00 extra"? Subtract the 19.50 for bridge tolls and the return fee, and the "extra pay" for Canada shipments becomes 6.50. I usually ended up running empty back home to Chicago rather than stay in the Ontario Pipeline.

beau112233

Seasoned Expediter
From what we were told at panther orientation, if your getting $1.30/mi. and request 'no canada' your rate per mile drops to $1.15 for ALL MILES!!!!!
Your definitely penalized from panther if you don't want the hassle of crossing the border, which I think is a total rip-off!!!

You should look at it as Panther has a base rate for all drivers and offers an increase to drivers who are willing to put up with the stressess of going in and out of Canada. It is truly not a penlaty but a reward for those who are willing to step up.

Beau Beaudin
Panther Fleet Owner
8 years

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, although it can be a challenge to make yourself look at it that way, it's an addition to the base rate just like the extra if you have a liftgate or reefer or whatever not a penalty for refusing.

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter

Is it really .15/mile now? In October, it was .02 for vans, .05 for trucks....or was the .05 for st trucks only?

Dan

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
No, it is still a .05 cut in all miles for non-canadian trucks......has been and still is.

-charlotte

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I was at Panther in 2005 and they told us if we turned down 3 Canada loads in a row we would be forced into a "No Canada Lease" that paid 5 cents less a mile on all miles. It might have just been a bluff to get people to accept the Canadian freight. The only reason I say that is because PantherRecruiter says the "No Canada Lease" has only been around about a year and he should know.

From what they told us I basicly took it like this: If you are offered a Canada run week 1 and you turn it down you're good, if you turn one down week 2 or later you're good, once the third Canada offer comes be it 3 weeks from starting or 3 months or longer you either take it or the "No Canada Lease". If you take the run then the next 2 Canada runs you are offered you can turn down without being penalized. Make sense? If it doesn't I'm sorry, but it makes sense to me. At least every third Canada offer take it and run with or go to a nickel less per mile. Plus it's my understanding Panther's base rate is less now than what it was then, but that's a different topic of discussion. It seems to me all those nickels add over time, and with the price of everything being the way it is you could sure use as many nickels as you can get. But hey, I'm just on outside looking in at something I used to do and a business I hope to get back into in the future.

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Ark;

I don't remember hearing about that when I was there. I turned down a pretty good bit of Canada loads, but I don't think it was ever 3 in a row......I was offered too much Canada to turn down that many.......so I don't know if they would have changed my lease on the third one or not

Dan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, they've had Canada and No-Canada leases since I've been with them, which is more than a year or so. In any case, I've turned down as many as 7 Canada loads in a row, in one day. If I'm sitting in Romulus and don't want to take a load to Windsor or Chatham, it really doesn't matter how many time you offer me a load going there, I still don't want to go there. A load from Romulus to Allison, maybe. A load from Memphis to Windsor, sure. It's got nothing to do with Canada. A load offer is a load offer, and no forced dispatch is no forced dispatch. If I like the load I'll take it, if I don't like it I won't.

Incidentally, they can't change your lease contract on you without you agreeing to it and signing a new lease contract. That's why it's called a contract. Otherwise, I'd be making all kinds of changes to my contract with them. :)

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle:

Yeah, I didn't think there was anything in the contract about changing it due to turn-downs

Dan

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
You don't have to believe me. I'm just telling you what I was told in oreintation in 05. Things seem to change everyday over there, or at least they did when I was there.

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Ark;

i didn't mean it as not believing you. I figured, as you said, that they had changed their policy by the time I got there

Dan

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
It's all good. I haven't been feeling well lately and kind of on edge. I didn't take any offense. Problem is you can't see a person's face when reading on this thing so you really don't know how to take alot of things. I have mixed feelings when I think back on my time with Panther anyway. I liked Panther pretty much except for a couple things, but hey no place is perfect. The owner I drove for was sorry and I was uneducated on the business and drove his truck without a contract, and ended up doing it for free. To bad I didn't know about EO then.

If I ever get out of college, my doctor clears me to go back on the road, and I decide to start my business, I will most likely start out at Panther before going out on my own. Anyway that's another thread.