Panther Strait truck, and brokers?

soundfx4

Active Expediter
I don't know much about brokers at all, only that they book loads with facilities and then hire drivers to take care of them. That's the extend of my knowledge. :p

I know Panther works with some brokers for back haul loads, but I have very little understand of this process, and how to REALLY take advantage of it. The first thing I've noticed is that most seem to be full 53' loads and very very little, if any, seem to be strait truck loads. Is this a true constant? Or is there a holy grail of strait truck loads for when I find myself in a dead area?

And do I have to go through Panther? Or can I just find a load by myself, and take off? I don't own my truck, so I'm assuming that even if I could do that, I'd still have to talk to my owner and coordinate with them? Really have no idea how this works and hoping to get a better idea :3

Thanks!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You are correct in that I would talk to the owner you are driving for first to set the parameters in which you would do one. Basic directions are available on the drivers web. Then I would talk to backhaul dept to ensure you know what you are doing. As for straight loads, quite a few depending on the region of the country you are in.

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
We did one out of los angeles area off of internet trkstp site. It paid decent for us which we own the truck. We delivered one morn and was at ta for 24 hrs way down onthe board and other p2 drivers been there a week or so we got and hit the road but thats was the only one we did.

soundfx4

Active Expediter
Are there known regions where strait truck broker loads are known to be abundant? I'm sitting here in Jackson, MS and I should have never let them send me here to be honest. It was a friday, with a 1 a day average load. I should have known better. sigh. And I've been sitting here since Friday. I'm close enough to Memphis that I'll be pulling off of that board come Monday, but still kind of far away.

I'll talk to the backhaul tomorrow, and see if I can't get a better understanding of how it works. I'll give my fleet manager a call too. My curiosity for brokers was reignited upon talking to someone at a technicolor facility in GA. He mentioned CH Robinson and told me about some strait truck panther drivers he had spoke too that had a lot of luck with that particular broker and strait truck loads, and even spoke about being able to get broker loads that pay well o_O The broker loads that pay well part...that definitely confused me, but apparently it's not uncommon?

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
i have looked on there boards but we were out west and all they had was t/t freight. just watch some of them we called one on getloaded site and only wanted to pay just for the pallet not by the mile and said for us to just find more freight to go with his,i told them not interested. if we were in a t/t it wouldnt have been a problem. only delivered in jack,ms one time but went to a friends house in al but stayed in service and nothing. that use to be a good area yrs ago. may have to get yourself moved to memphis like us there are areas we wont get talked into going unless they can back me up with something or a bonus, was told last time i asked they were gonna cut this out,dont know if it was disp mad cause i wouldnt take the load.

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Sometimes brokers resist the idea of posting LTL loads, just because they believe they don't pay very much. My suggestion is that when you see a load coming out of the area that you want to, call the broker and ask them if they have any LTL straight truck loads. Keep in mind there are certain items that Panther won't let you backhaul.

Personally, when I get LTL loads I do post them (they show up on Getloaded.com and internet truck stop.