panther gripe

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm confused on just what program you are on as well. Fuel shouldn't be split. One side should be paying for all of the fuel and the other side should pay for zero fuel. The paying side should get 60% of the load pay plus 100% of the fsc. Good luck sorting it all out.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you are on a 60/40 with you paying the fuel, then you should be getting 100 percent of the FSC. Not a percentage of it.
If you get 100 percent of the FSC, you shouldn't need anything greater than the 45 percent. If so, then you are doing too much DH. If one needs 55 percent of the base to operate just for fuel, you are accepting the wrong loads.
The only exception would be the folks on the flat rate all miles program. In their case, the advance is only on the loaded miles.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, I'll go ahead and make some people mad. This is in general as I don't know anyone specifically. If it's a cash flow problem it needs to be resolved. The way to resolve it is to adjust the cash flow until enough reserve is built up to handle those loads without fast pay etc. involved. That means:

No cigarettes as that is the biggest money waster of the most people in this profession. If you can't buy all the fuel you need you can't afford cigarettes. Yeah, I know all about the urges, the withdrawals, etc. but that's too bad. You can't afford them.

No video games in the truckstop. While using my computer at one of the tables I watched a guy feeding quarters into a game machine for almost two hours. He was there before I went in and there when I left. I have no idea how long total he was at it.

Beans and rice, rice and beans as Dave Ramsey likes to say meaning you figure out ways to eat inexpensively. That may mean buying gallons of water to drink with the sandwiches you make out of your cooler or whatever.

Fueling big trucks based on carrier discounts and fuel tax optimization. That can amount to hundreds of dollars per quarter. Fueling under 26k units based on carrier discounts and/or least expensive fuel depending on what type vehicle.

Keeping a journal of every penny that goes out so you can monitor every penny coming and going. Knowledge is power.

Once the cash flow problem is solved and the reserve is built up life should be able to go back toward normal although you can't go back to exactly the way it was since that didn't work to begin with.

And again, "you" means anyone and not someone.

What is not smart is driving for a company where your getting paid so little that you have to scrape like mentioned to make ends meet. If a person is in that position it is time to move somewhere you can earn more. I have never understood why drivers stay put somewhere for months or even years that is not paying them enough to at least enjoy their time on the road. I am not saying spending to much on video games or whatever is s the best thing to to do but lets get real.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If someone is going to commit to running junk loads, Panther will take full advantage.
Have to remember,
Businessman first, driver second.

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
ok what am i doing wrong???
i been with panther for 6 yrs now....
was with a owner for 4 of them yrs who was the bestest..... but wel they went bank rupt.. *sigh* i miss them
anyways. im with a different owner now..... and they r nice, and honest..
we are doing the 60/40 thing.....
well here is my problem..... I pay 40% of fuel.

sorry,however if you signed a contract that was 60/40,you getting 40% and paying 40% of the fuel then you've answered your own question. They maybe nice , so what.Find a fleetowner who wants a driver to be sucessful so they can be sucessful also.At 40% you should not be paying a penny for fuel....unles you are more concerned with your fleetowners bottom line then your own. what DaveKC and Turtle, said is of course correct.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ty all of your for input....
yep i pay for fuel...... and i dont do a lot of dh.. i try not too anyways.
i do get 100% of fsc
and it seems that just when i get some fuel and fuel $$ backed up a lil, then i dont get any loads soon enough to keep me rolling,
or i get the mini's offerd to me... which i irefuse some of them cuz of the DH , and tell them i can not afford the fuel to run up and down the roads.
anyways........ soo here i am 1st on boards since saturday ... had a couple load offers, minis..
then here is the other scenero ... i am a early riser.. 5am im up, its super hard for me to sleep during the day no matter what. sure i have done some night loads, but not to often it kinda mess's me up, serious, feel soo disoriented the next day.
soo ok i been up all day waiting for loads. ya know a person can just sleep so much. then they give me a mini load offer picking up at 11 30pm and have to deliver by 3 am.. or longer.
i take meds for high blood pressure.... and i dont know how many times, i feel like dozing off.. soo i eat tootsi pop sucker to try and keep myself busy and awake.. well its getting odl doing that. soo i tried the 5hr energy thing.. only half of a bottle. cuz im not sure how it will work with my meds for high blood pressure.. it helps take the edge off.
i have a very good work ethic with panther..... i stay out for weeks at a time.... i do my job, i get to places on time , sometimes way to early heh..i go to canada, i have a excellant safty record.
i really miss working for the ACDC guys.... i did well with them.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ok i just got a load offer 17 miles dh going to battle creek mi .. was gonna hop on it.
but did a whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaa .............. 77 cents a mile... ahhhhh
im not a cargo van??
well they took me off it...... * deep sigh* .......

let me think here... lets see......
been #1 since sat... check
come up with a couple mini's ,with 120 some or more dh going 40 miles....... check
cant afford the fuel to do that...
now i get a cargo van load..... and this is dayyyyyyyy 3 or 4 ?? im losing track...