Pain in the knee

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Is it me, or are there other tall drivers who believe trucks aren't made for them?

I'm 6'4", have an FL106, and a new clutch that everyone says feels great... except me. To me, the clutch feels like lead because my leg can't extend. And, of course, the seat is made for someone 5'9" and will not go back far enough.

Does anyone know of a truck that's made with more leg room?(either class 7 or 8) If not, is it possible to get the seat moved back? I'm curious to see what other drivers with this prob have done, if anything.

Thanx
T-hawk - maybe becoming a fan of CFL wouldn't be as frustrating :+

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I feel your pain T-hawk... seriously!

The last D-Unit I drove was the standard FL-70. In order for me to shift halfway comfortably, the air ride seat had to be all the way up and back, my head was about an inch from the ceiling... ruff on bumps!

I have more room in my Ford Van... LOL.. don't know why they make trucks for short people!

Dreamer

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I suffered for years with this problem when I ran International 4900`s.Now I have a FL M2 and it is amazing how much leg room,and adjusment is availaible for different size drivers.I an 8"taller than my co-driver so this is inportant.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Several of the truck manufacturers have come up with the extended cab version of there standard cab configuration. Thes include Kenworth, Peterbilt, Freightliner and my favorite Volvo. That extra 6 inches or so make all the difference in the world. Good luck and as I've said before, drive that truck you want first before you buy. I hear stories all the time of drivers who pay 100,000.00 for a truck and only drove the vehicle 2 miles before they took delivery! This is a huge mistake. Being uncomfortable in a truck for a couple hours a day is one thing, being stuck with a truck that does'nt fit is horrible! Good luck on your new big cab truck.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Back in the last century I went from a Wannabee to an Almostdid. I had a 1997 GMC 3500 van with power seat. There was no adjustable lumbar support. I had to drive with a towel stuffed by my lower back. Have Chev/GMC improved their seats? Has anyone replaced their seats? Thanks. :+ :+

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
oldprof we have a international 7400 that we just replaced the drivers seat on over the holidays.this truck came with bottom of the barrel national seats in it that had no armrests.(heck,even my fl70 before it had at least one armrest per seat).the new seat that we purchased is also a national but is there top of the line seat.two armrests and inflateable side bolsters on the seat and back rests.it also has triple lumbar supports with what they are calling a "back cycler"wich automatically inflates and deflates all 3 lumbars every few seconds to prevent your spine from staying in the same position for hours on end.but the one thing i really like about it is the air suspension is alot better than the original seat,it seems to handle the rough roads alot better.this seat was kinda costly($1260.00)but for the extra comfort it provides at the "office" it was money well spent. DD.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>it also
>has triple lumbar supports with what they are calling a
>"back cycler"wich automatically inflates and deflates all 3
>lumbars every few seconds .....

That just sounds so good, I'd like to have that for my recliner at HOME!!!

MrsBuzz

Expert Expediter
My husband is a tall person also, he had the cabinet behind the drivers seat modified, and the seat moved back. It worked for him.:)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I wondered about moving the seat frame back. Thanx for everyone's advice. Next truck I get is going to be either automatic or something with that extra 6" of leg room.