P0088 and vgt failure

BassRhino

New Recruit
Mechanic
Hey got a 2007 hino 185, checked codes during a service and it has 2 codes inactive. P0088 and vgt failure, no check engine light but when I ran it and monitored rail pressure its saying desired pressure at idle is 5000 ish and the rail pressure actually is over 10000. I'm not using hino software just wondering if it's a scan tool issue or I'm just worrying over nothing.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Those codes are common. There are a number of reasons why P0088, high rail pressure, can set. It often sets in tandem with P0087, low rail pressure.

P0045, VNT failure, unfortunately usually ends with turbo replacement. If there is power, a good ground, and CAN at the VNT controller connector, and the code still sets, it's gonna need a turbo. The VNT controller is not available separately, it's calibrated to the turbo.

If you end up putting a turbo on it in the future, now is the time to address a possible problem. The exhaust manifold studs love to break on these engines, and I wouldn't be surprised if the ones in the back are broken. There is a TSB on updated studs and spacers to fix this issue. The exhaust manifold will likely need to be milled or replaced if this condition exists.

BassRhino

New Recruit
Mechanic
Thanks for reply and wisdom. Keep up the awesome work, bloody saved my ass coming to work on the hinos in my bosses fleet with all your knowledge on here.

Edit: spelling

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
You might want to try lubing the vnt linkage. Aerosol nickel antiseize.

They start to make sense after a while.