p/o box vs permanent address

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
just picked up mail after being out 45 days. postmaster said i would have to take a p.o. box in the future if i was going to continue having mail held. i should have asked him but.....do i have to convert all my mail to p.o address?

i thought i needed to have the street address as my mailing addy.

how does this affect the per diem allowance it at all?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I have a PO box and love it, we do not(cannot) get mail delivered to our home, hence the PO Box
For places that require a street address I always give my home address and then the box#. This works because the post office is in the town I live in.

Here's a suggestion find a mail box store. I think Mail Boxes etc. is now the UPS store. But there are alot of these type stores out there. Most will have a street address you can use and kinda gets you around the no PO box rule. I believe the UPS store will notify you when mail for you is received.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I had p o box at one time but small one they complained when i was gone long time and had so much mail that wouldnt fit in the box made me get bigger box and sometimes still had to much mail because i was gone at lot of times 4 to 6 weeks on average so now I use the UPS store for all my mail and they will hold on to anything that is sent to me even mail to big to fit in the box just use the store street address and then the number of your box ( but do not use the word box just # and the number) if I am out of town and decide to take time off somewhere other than St. Louis say in Vegas I can have them overnight my mail to me and I have 24 hour access to the mail and can call and check if i have a package or other large mail that wont fit in box they will make special arrangement to put where i can get to it if I plan on picking up after they close up for the night. The price is higher than post office but my mid size box is $69 for 3 months i forget what the price was of the other size boxes and i believe if you sign up for a longer time frame like 6 months or a year the price gets cheaper. check out The UPS Store: Retail packing, shipping, postal & business services locations to find location near your home just try to get the right size box for the mail you get based on how long your on the road hope that helps

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
All the answers are correct, if you stay out for weeks at a time, if you have no one at home use a Mail boxes(UPS Store)that way the USPS will not complain about over filling a PO Box.

When a Tax Return is now made out it must have a physical address, in the address line, and all software has an IN CARE OF LINE Thai is where your POBOX address # goes.

Frank