owner operators

beachbum20714

Expert Expediter
i'm going to be working for FEX CC doing a team op in jan 2006.i have not talked to any o/o as of yet.i have talked to some o/o in the past,just to get info on what kind of pay i can expect,and what type of trucks are out there.i heard alot of negative things from o/o's that used to be drivers.how do i go about finding a good o/o to work for?or is it ,spin the wheel and take what you get.i'm a exp truck driver for over 14 yrs (str tk)doing local runs.home every night.hit the clock at 4am leave 2:30pm or later.how long does it take before you become an o/o yourself?me, i want my own truck,but money is tight.
but if we like it enought and making good money then we'll buy.
THANKS,
EARL

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There is alot of information with regards to fleet owners in the EO archives. Some good and some bad. Reputation and experience are the two biggest items I would be looking for. Other items are equally important such as, timely settlements with statements from the carrier and the owner. Not just one from the owner. Maintained equipment and clear policy on service and schedules. A written contract that spells out everyones responsibilities.
Honesty from both parties should be a cornerstone to any relationship.
And lastly, owners relationship with the carrier, and a owners ability to keep your truck moving. In otherwords, does the owner have ways to move your truck even in the slow times, or is he at the sole mercy of the carrier?
Alot of things to consider.
There are other items, but those would be the bigger ones.

Davekc
owner
21 years

beachbum20714

Expert Expediter
thanks for the info.will the o/o show me the records of settlement?and if not,and he/she refuses what do i do then?i know what i would do ,but it's not the right thing.