OWNER OPERATOR OPPORTUNITIES

TMDONOFRIO

Expert Expediter
i AM CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR A A NEW BUSINESS "ADVENTURE". AM 61 YRS OLD WITH VARIOUS BUSINESS EXPERIENCE INCLUDING STARTING AND WITHIN 4 YEARS SELLING MY ADVANCED lIFE SUPPORT EMERGENCY AMBULANCE COMPANY TO A NATIONAL COMPANY. A YEAR AND A HALF AGO MY SON AND I STARTED A AN AGGREGATE HAULING COMPANY WITH TWO MACK GRANITE TRI=AXLE DUMPS IN WEST PALM BEACH BUT HAVE DETERMINED THE RETURN ON INVESTMENT DUE TO LOW BID COMPETITION WAS NOT WORTH THE EFFORT REQUIRED. iS IT POSSIBLE TO BE AN EXPEDITER WITHIN OR IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO FLORIDA ... OUR CDL B EXPERIENCE IS LESS THAN TWO YEARS AND WE ATTENDED SAGE DRIVING SCHOOL...PURCHASING A NEW OR RECENT MODEL VEHICLE WOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM... ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED TOM

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Honestly NO Flordia is the one state East of the Mississippi you do not want to be in....

Move to Indiania or Ohio...

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Or maybe not. Florida work depends on many factors, such as whether you're running team, willing to deadhead to the pickup, what company you lease with, the day of the week, and the luck of the draw. Over the years with FedEx, we have taken loads there and taken loads out all but two times.

Before deciding, do some research here by searching for Florida and call the recruiters for the companies that sound interesting and then decide if it is promising. You may decide the deadhead to and from GA is well worth "having" to live in Florida. I could agree with you if the plan is to go out for 4-6 weeks at a time.

Vernon in C2197

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
how do you know "big money can be made". do you presently have trucks working in that area. if so could you give details?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Tractors with dump bodies are getting $900.00 to $1200 per day. The dump bodies can be rented or leased for $25.00 to 30.00 per day.

Davekc

samison4248

Expert Expediter
Personally now is not the time to get into expediting. The industry has changed a lot this year. I have been doing expediting for the past 8 years and have never seen it this slow.

Florida is not the state to get out of. Maybe work within the state but don't expect to get out of it.

2003 I made $88,000 in expediting 2004 (was off 3 1/2 months drunk driver hit me) made $61,000 this year I have made thru the 30th of October $31,000.

If drivers don't refuse cheap freight then expediting will not be an opportunity to look at. The companies are still getting $2.10 or more per mile only the drivers are doing without.