Overhaul Cost

gavinsdad

Seasoned Expediter
Newbie here getting ready to purchase first truck and will be buying used. I am looking at two trucks and am curious as to how much an in frame overhaul runs, so I can budget a reserve stash should I need to overhaul an engine in the next couple of years, as both of the trucks that I am looking at have almost 500,000 miles on them. I already know to stay away from the 3126 Cat and will not even consider the purchase of one of them. I limited my search to wet-sleeve engines and have narrowed it down to two. One is a class 7 International with a tag-axle and the 530 HT engine. The other is a class 8 Volvo with tandem rears and a 500hp. Cummins. What is a good ballpark estimate on an in frame overhaul expense on theese engines?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Alot of your question depends on what type or how extensive you are going to go. Depending on what you are doing and the engine, you will be somewhere between $7,000 to as high $15,000.
A 500 HP Cummins should not be at the rebuild stage with those miles.

Also keep in mind to budget extra monies for your downtime. A rebuild can be done in a week, but can run into two if obstacles are encountered.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator