outside viewing and recording units

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
A buddy of mine has been tagged twice in truck stop parking lots and he's wondering if anyone knows of a system that you can buy to view and record happenings around your truck. I think broompilot and maybe A-team have set ups like this. Any info would be appreciated!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yea Phil has and I think it is on his website.

Also he can get a video camera mount it on the dash and record things while parked. It may be a cheaper way to go.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Here is the link to info about our camera system:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=1409&forum=DCForumID16

I was surprised to discover that the TS2 web site has disappeared. While the people we dealt with are still around, they have merged with another company and are not promoting transportation products now. I have sent an inquiry to them about their current company status and product lines.

Our system still works and can be serviced by other vendors. At least that was what I was told by TS2 when we bought the system. They gave me vendor names at the time but I did not keep them as there was no need.

Again, our system still works. There has been no need to contact TS2 since we bought the system. But now, it appears things have changed. I'm contacting the guys we dealt with get current info and the names of other vendors that can service our system if service is ever needed.

Technology changes fast. If I was to buy a full-featured camera system today, I'd start my research from ground zero. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You can get camcorders now that use hard drives for the video and give more than 10 hours total time. They run about $500 I think. That could be put on the dash and would get anyone backing into the truck when parked. It could also be set to record while driving in case of accident. Unless there was something evidentiary it could be recorded over each day. Anything that was needed could be downloaded to a pc.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
Wow! 6 grand? Holy guacamole batman! (not you ark) Man, that is one heck of a system Phil, but, OMG! I think my buddy's looking for something a little less intense. I think if it were me i'd be inclined to go along with Leo, but i think my buddy wants something that monitors all sides, full time, even while driving. So Greg, have you put any more thought into the 6 channel video card idea?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's a company in Houston that does a system that can have all sides plus inside the box for I think about $2500-3000. I can't remember their name but think it starts with an S. If it comes to me I'll post it.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Yeah I got accused of hitting another truck at the Petro in Joplin. I saw the truck that hit the guy and I yelled at him on the radio. Next thing I know I have a mad man jump on my steps while moving,yelling at me with a big flash light in his hand threatening to bash in my window. I stopped got out and asked what the deal was. I had my hand inside the truck on my tire thumper he came at me and I pulled out the tire thumper and he decided he wanted to talk like adults. Unfortunatley for me the trailer I was pulling was hit by something by another driver so it didn't look good for me. It was like 4 in the morning and the cops came and they said i hit the guy.We exchanged numbers. I got fired. It sucked big time. The guy was mad because he had a custom paint job and I kinda felt bad for him, until I got fired. Then he calls me and got me a job as a company driver with the company he was leased to which turned out to be a better gig anyway.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So Greg, have you put any more thought into the 6 channel video card idea?

Grog,
Actually I got three cards (6, 12 and 24 input) sitting right here and have just finished the parts list off for a new truckputer. I have been concentrating on the J1939 interface and been working on the development of an inexpensive interface beside other things.

I have a 15" touchscreen on the way to replace the floppy laptop, I got a 22" HD LCD monitor sitting right here (thudding it with my foot) waiting for the mount to be finished for the new cabinets going into the truck in the spring and I got a dozen cameras from a Chinese eBay vendor (all cost less the $35 each will use only 6). Just need to make some money and buy the rest of the parts.

I am just absolutely amazed that the performance of computing has gone up while the price has just went down exponentially. I looked at the latest AMD 64 chips, just lost track at the gains made in speed and now can use my 64 bit Linux for the truckputer. I think the storage issue for me is now not an issue, with a possible 4TB of space on board my truck, I can record everything that happened 24/7 for a whole year from 6 cameras - bizarre. Let's see what happened on July 15th at 3AM........

gojack

Expert Expediter
I put a backup camera on my Pete 335,
I bought the camera and monitor separately for a total of under $100
I loved it, worked great, fantastic for tight quarter maneuvering.

I opted for cheap, thinking that if a camera got crushed or knocked off, a warranty was less important than a cheap replacement. Never had any problems with it.

I looked into camera systems a while back to put on my tractor trailer but never did anything with it.

The best price & features I could find were with a
company called SharpVision.

They are a Chinese Mfg that will sell direct,
Very nice Chinese lady answers emails patiently.
They are willing to customize products for you.
A lot of other companies are re-branding and
selling SharpVision products at a nice mark-up.

A year ago I got a quote for a stand alone DVR 4 channel record,
30fps, w/motion activation and 4 color IR cameras for $995.

http://www.sharpvision.cn/

If you do not want to buy direct you can find their
products on Ebay.

At least one guy is making an Ebay business out of selling their products
(Search for "interceptinc" on Ebay.)

As always your mileage may vary...

Dave

PS.

Leo, the company you are thinking of... could it be "Say Security"?
They were showing off some products at MATS, I thought their
Tactical flashlight/video camera combo was a cool idea.

http://www.saysecurity.com/road_guard.html

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Still can't remember what the company name is but that isn't it.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Gojack, that helps to put things in perspective. Like i said, A-teams system, although mighty impressive, is a little more high end then what my buddys looking for. The stuff your talking about is closer to what he's looking for. Although, gregs stuff is very intriguing. But some people love all the gadgets and toys and tinkering and some just want a system they can buy and install and be done with it.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Leo,the company name you are trying to think of is Safety Vision out of Houston,TX. We purchased our camera system from them and are very satisfied with it.DD.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
YES! Safety Vision is the one I couldn't think of. This CRS stuff is for the birds.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------