Our Time is Now

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My wife and I sat down yesterday and talked it out. Yes, we wanted to hit the road and reconnect (empty nesters), and travel. We also wanted to make money while traveling, so we had to talk ourselves down, as we had devoted nearly every waking moment since the Expo to officially get into Expediting. When we were talked out, we gathered everything we had purchased over the last few months, and returned them to the stores... except the toilet of course, as we bought that little gem online ($130 shipped!!). What we talked about, was using this "new money" to get ourselves completely out of debt, and then revisit this topic in a couple years... as the timing was just not right this year.
Just remember to keep all your endorsements up to date so if you decide to join our ranks you won’t have to redo everything. Also do not give up your cdl as this is very valuable and time consuming as well as expensive if you need todo it all over again.

Reactions: TeamPaul

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
I have owned my CDL now for 25-years... I found out early on that it was cheaper to keep it. Hazmat may be a chore, unless I can get my current company to use and pay for it.

Reactions: Treadmill

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
So happy for you two. I know how much you both wanted to get out here but also understand the great blessing you have received.

Warrior

New Recruit
Fleet Manager
Expediting is always here when your ready. It will be the best time, when the time is right and you will get to travel and reconnect just like you imagined, my wife and I loved it for that.

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Expediting is always here when your ready. It will be the best time, when the time is right and you will get to travel and reconnect just like you imagined, my wife and I loved it for that.

My wife said the same thing... use this time to pay all of our bills off, and then hit the road.

So happy for you two. I know how much you both wanted to get out here but also understand the great blessing you have received.

We wish you all the best, sounds like your research is finally paying off. I took a small side job with my company last week; they flew me to EL Paso, TX where I grabbed a rental car to Las Cruces. I got paid well to drive a small U-Haul box van 1500 miles back to Alabama. I was able to take Beth with me, so we got a little taste of the road... except our sleeper was a stay at two Holiday Inn's along the route. Safe travels, and stay warm.

Reactions: Treadmill

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
So a quick update... since my last post, the company I currently work for was bought out by another company. In my past, the last time a company bought us out, they cleared house, and put us on the road of discovery (read as looking for a new job). As it turns out, it was a good thing; since my company was employee owned, the buy out came with the perk of getting all of our vested funds paid to us in full for whatever we wanted to: 401K or payout etc. We took a large payout and paid ALL of our bills off. and, to go along with the 35% raise I received last year, I received another 5% raise from the but out...

Now the bad... in October of last year I received my first speeding ticket in nearly 30-years. I was devastated for nearly 6-weeks after. I am told that I need to be ticket free for 3-years before I can seek employment at FedEx CC...

Anyway, my wife and I are trying to get our kids graduated from college, and then we are going to seriously seek an entry point into the industry. Until then, we will continue to live and stay debt free, whilst stacking some money away.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just don't have a second moving violation (or accident or other incident of any kind) within 3 years and you should be fine. FedEx may limit it to zero, but most will give you one. Two and you're screwed until 3 years pass.

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
I hear ya, with how bad I felt getting the ticket, there is no way that I am going to chance another citation. I got lax, and I got burned... Now just dealing with it and hoping for the best.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Back in 1992 I got 3 speeding tickets in one day, all within about 3 hours. The next day I sold the candy apple red Camaro and bought a soccer mommy van.

No tickets since then, except about 4 years ago I got caught in a sleezy speed trap that I finally got dismissed.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hear ya, with how bad I felt getting the ticket, there is no way that I am going to chance another citation. I got lax, and I got burned... Now just dealing with it and hoping for the best.
Should’ve went with an attorney to get it reduced or changed to another non moving charge, then the speeding ticket wouldn’t go on your record. That’s what attorneys are for. JMHO.

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Should’ve went with an attorney to get it reduced or changed to another non moving charge, then the speeding ticket wouldn’t go on your record. That’s what attorneys are for. JMHO.

At 4:30 AM the lone officer recorded my speed as 65 in a 45 construction zone... Not worth fighting it, I was speeding pure and simple. I did ask for traffic classes, but these are not offered for professional licenses, but it was still worth a shot to ask.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At 4:30 AM the lone officer recorded my speed as 65 in a 45 construction zone... Not worth fighting it, I was speeding pure and simple. I did ask for traffic classes, but these are not offered for professional licenses, but it was still worth a shot to ask.

Try AAA for driver improvement classes. Ya might have to pay out of pocket, and it might not be CDL specific, but taking the initiative might help your case.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums