Opinions on this truck?

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
Hi again,

I've narrowed my solo-driver truck search to a Class D with a liftgate and an APU. I like the toilet/shower combo thing, public bathrooms scare me. A reefer would be nice as well. My budget is up to $90K.

That being said,

What's all of your opinions on this truck?:

2004 Peterbilt 385

EDIT: It has 455,000 miles

Certainly looks the part, and has obviously been used for expediting before...does anybody recognize who's truck this is?

Any problems I would face with this particular setup?

Is the price fair or too much given the state of things?

Is this truck setup for the best overall chance of getting loads?

Anything else?

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
JMHO,for a 4 year old truck that is too much money. There are better deals on this dealers website,I am thinking that the only reason they are asking this much for the truck is because of the shower.DD.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I too, feel that is a bit much for that truck. No doubt it would do the job and be what you need. You ought to be able to find a better bargain if not in a hurry.

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
Ok, overpriced but nice truck seems to be a consensus so far.

So, what should a truck like this go for in this market?

$60-$70K? lower?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I see on another thread that you are considering Fed Ex. Keep in mind that the Fed wants their trucks no older than 5 years, exceptions are made but you'd have to take that up with them. Maybe you should contact Fed Ex first and take a look at their requirements for truck specs. JMO:)

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Kyreax,

Not trying to second guess you. But in the other thread you said that your budget was 50k. now you have bumped that up to almost double. Most, but not all will advise you to drive for an owner first. I won't bother to rehash all of those reasons.

Don't fall into the trap that so many do and keep bumping up the start up cost by getting a truck that will deplete your savings. To get into a job that you don't know if it is even the Lifestyle that you can enjoy, because in the trucking business and expediting business in particular it is one heck of a lot different than most newbie's can imagine.

Also try to remember that a class "A" will give you the most opportunities in general trucking as well as Expediting. So if you want to invest in your future consider going to a truck load carrier and let them put you thru school on their dime, drive for a year, and then the whole world of trucking can be your oyster. You will need at least a years worth of experience in order to go to most of the expedite companys.

Just a thought

Jim

Reactions: 1 person

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
If I'm not mistaken that truck was owned by a guy out of Paragould,AR and had it leased to Nations Express I think. He was moving to Alaska so had to sale it. It took him for ever to sale it and now it is right back on the market just a little over a year later. If it is the truck I'm thinking about you would be the third owner.

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
Kyreax,

Not trying to second guess you. But in the other thread you said that your budget was 50k. now you have bumped that up to almost double. Most, but not all will advise you to drive for an owner first. I won't bother to rehash all of those reasons.

Don't fall into the trap that so many do and keep bumping up the start up cost by getting a truck that will deplete your savings. To get into a job that you don't know if it is even the Lifestyle that you can enjoy, because in the trucking business and expediting business in particular it is one heck of a lot different than most newbie's can imagine.

Also try to remember that a class "A" will give you the most opportunities in general trucking as well as Expediting. So if you want to invest in your future consider going to a truck load carrier and let them put you thru school on their dime, drive for a year, and then the whole world of trucking can be your oyster. You will need at least a years worth of experience in order to go to most of the expedite companys.

Just a thought

Jim

Thanks for the input. My ideas are being molded as I go through the forums, talk to truck owners, and get ideas. I'm still planning on driving for someone else for at least 6 months, that hasn't changed. However, Fedex does offer brand-spankin' newbies a chance if they finish an approved training program so 6 months later with experience under my belt, it would be no problem.

I will get my class A with Hazmat, no worries there.;) I agree that I need to keep my overhead low while I learn the business, however there are exceptions to the rules that I am apt to go for.

The reason I'm asking so many questions is to "hedge my bets" and prevent myself from failing as i know so many others have in this job. And I appreciate the concern for me and my life savings! I really do. It's comments like yours that make me realize this board is a very valuable resource and that everyone isn't just going to agree with what I say and pretend it's all peachy out there when it isn't.

BUT: how do you like the truck, Jim?:D

Last edited:

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
I see on another thread that you are considering Fed Ex. Keep in mind that the Fed wants their trucks no older than 5 years, exceptions are made but you'd have to take that up with them. Maybe you should contact Fed Ex first and take a look at their requirements for truck specs. JMO:)

Yes, I saw that on their website too. What I'm understanding though, that if your truck is 5 years or less older when you sign on then you can keep it going for more years if the truck is inspected and in good order, especially a class 8 / D thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's a nice looking truck. It did in fact sell a year or so ago and apparently the current owner wants out now. It is expensive but you can't buy a new one like it for anywhere near $110k. How many miles on it? I can't find that anywhere in the listing. It is a class 8 chassis so it should easily be a 1M mile chassis. If you were to build an equivalent new unit, with that sleeper, generator, lift axle, liftgate etc. on a class 8 chassis it would be in the $160-170k range. The big question is the mileage. If it's pretty low mileage it's high but not insanely high, provided it passes a detailed inspection with VIS test etc.

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
If it's pretty low mileage it's high but not insanely high, provided it passes a detailed inspection with VIS test etc.

So...its not ridiculously priced after all? Or is it just a tad high...

454K miles

VIS Test? What's that?

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
With the price of fuel these days,that C-13 cat is more motor than you will ever need and will guzzle the fuel.

Also,if you are thinking of going with Fedex they WILL make you paint the box white.Just another expense added to the price of the truck. DD.

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
With the price of fuel these days,that C-13 cat is more motor than you will ever need and will guzzle the fuel.

Also,if you are thinking of going with Fedex they WILL make you paint the box white.Just another expense added to the price of the truck. DD.

I take it that this thing gets like 6 mpg?

Are there better engines to consider? One that stands out above the others? I've seen posts that the smaller engines kind of stink for Class D trucks, 250 horses or something.

And yeah, I know about the box painting thing...what could that be, another $1000 or so?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The guy that offered that truck did live in AR if the same guy.
He offered to sell it to me a couple of years ago for 110,000.
At that time he said it had 132,000 miles on it.
If I am not mistaken, it has a replaced engine or rebuilt. There was some kind of issue in that I had no interest.
I talk to so many it is hard for me to remember specific details from that far back. Must be alzheimer's?
Anyways, price is too high for what I am seeing.

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
The guy that offered that truck did live in AR if the same guy.
He offered to sell it to me a couple of years ago for 110,000.
At that time he said it had 132,000 miles on it.
If I am not mistaken, it has a replaced engine or rebuilt. There was some kind of issue in that I had no interest.
I talk to so many it is hard for me to remember specific details from that far back. Must be alzheimer's?
Anyways, price is too high for what I am seeing.

Hi dave.

Are you referring to the original truck I asked about or the Other one further down the posts that someone else brought up?