Opinions / Advice for a Newbie

batman217

Seasoned Expediter
Hi folks,
I’m looking for opinions/advice concerning expediting. I have read a lot here on EO plus following the different threads. I especially like the “August 2010 Locations” thread to see how you folks are moving around. The thread really does show a pretty close knit group although spread out over many miles and several different carriers and equipment. You folks are pretty straight forward and seem to go out of your way to help each other. I also attended the Expediter Workshop in Ohio last month and listened to some of you speak during the seminars. I will welcome any and all opinions or advice.
So here is the scenario:
My wife and I live in Central Indiana plus we also have an interest in some property in Southern Indiana. She does not want to drive and be a team player. All three kids and their spouses have all moved to Las Vegas, NV over the past 3 to 4 years. The goal is to move out to the Vegas/Henderson area to be around the kids and grandkids (O.K., the grand kids). I plan on getting into the expediting business as an Owner Operator. I originally had planned on buying a straight truck and signing on with a carrier as a solo driver. I got my CDL B about 8 years ago when I almost made the jump to expediting then. The more I read though the more I am concerned about carriers preferring team drivers over solo drivers for the long runs when it comes to straight trucks. Which I really don’t know if that is an issue for what I am wanting to do. So I started rethinking possibly switching to a Sprinter or a Cargo Van as an Owner Operator driving solo. I know life would be simpler in a Sprinter/CV concerning the CDL and log books plus finding a place to park it. But then I keep thinking how much nicer the big sleeper in a straight truck would be while being out on the road 2, 3 or 4 weeks at a time.
What I am wanting to do is sign on with a carrier and primarily run the Western states including Texas and then every 6 to 8 weeks migrate back to the Indiana area to check on the properties then head back out West and start the cycle again. Is there enough business in the Western States to keep me busy? If so, is it geared more towards the capacity of a straight truck or a Sprinter/CV? What do you think would be the best choice for what I am wanting to do, a straight truck or a Sprinter/CV?
Thanks for any and all opinions/advice.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I would suggest trying the various Company recruiters. Starting with Ms. Muszynski @ Bolt Express.;)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my opinion getting to Vegas every 2 - 4 weeks will be tuff with a notional carrier especially as a solo. You may want to look locally out there when you do move. Getting to In indiana on the other hand is very easy to do. I live there and am home almost weekly with my carrier.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
In my opinion getting to Vegas every 2 - 4 weeks will be tuff with a notional carrier especially as a solo. You may want to look locally out there when you do move. Getting to In indiana on the other hand is very easy to do. I live there and am home almost weekly with my carrier.

That is because Indiana, Michigan, Ohio is the center of the universe :rolleyes:. Really though we are really very centrally located and a lot of auto manufacturing is done in this area, while this is not all of our business it sure is a good part of it.
That is why Indiana is called "The Crossroads of America" :)
As you will notice, most of the expediting companies are in the Midwest.

batman217

Seasoned Expediter
[

Thanks for the response. Am hoping there is enough business out West where I could criss cross the Western states and Texas then be reasonably close every few weeks to dead head home to Vegas. I will check out that way for local carriers. Thanks again.

batman217

Seasoned Expediter
That is because Indiana, Michigan, Ohio is the center of the universe :rolleyes:. Really though we are really very centrally located and a lot of auto manufacturing is done in this area, while this is not all of our business it sure is a good part of it.
That is why Indiana is called "The Crossroads of America" :)
As you will notice, most of the expediting companies are in the Midwest.

Thanks for the input. I remember the day when Anderson, Kokomo, Marion and Indy were the auto worker's capitol of the world. If you didn't work at a Chrysler, GM or Ford plant in one of these towns, someone in your family and half your friends did. Right now I have 5 neighbors retired from GM plants in Anderson and Marion. Thanks again.

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You'll probably find work to get you back to Vegas ... Getting a head-haul out of there will be tough. There's some show freight, but, that's about it