One Issue With New Qualcomm Units is Resolved

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I am surprised that the promoters of the new Qualcomm/EOBR systems have not yet mentioned the news yet that came in the November 5 Fleet Bulletin about viewing, saving and printing your hours of service history.

I raised the issue here on February 10 and here on February 14. It got a lot of play but no answers. Now on November 5 the issue has been resolved but no one said so...so I'll say so.

Per the November 5 Fleet Bulletin, drivers who use electronic logs can go to a Qualcomm site and access up to six months of prior log book data. It can be viewed, saved and printed.

This resolves one of the major issues Diane and I had with the new Qualcomm units and we are glad to see it.

Now comes the next thing:

To those who have the new systems in your trucks, has anyone actually tried to access your HOS history? Did it work?

Last edited:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I am surprised that the promoters of the new Qualcomm/EOBR systems have not yet mentioned yet the news yet that came in the November 5 Fleet Bulletin about viewing, saving and printing your hours of service history.

I raised the issue here on February 10 and here on February 14. It got a lot of play but no answers. Now on November 5 the issue has been resolved but no one said so...so I'll say so.

Per the November 5 Fleet Bulletin, drivers who use electronic logs can go to a Qualcomm site and access up to six months of prior log book data. It can be viewed, saved and printed.

This resolves one of the major issues Diane and I had with the new Qualcomm units and we are glad to see it.

Now comes the next thing:

To those who have the new systems in your trucks, has anyone actually tried to access your HOS history? Did it work?

Yep.....WORKS!!! YAY!!!!:D

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I did not consider it to be a big deal as we had all ready worked around the problem.

I would like to see the log sheets compiled into a spread sheet instead of a daily log. Not sure yet if we will even use these.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Yes it works just fine.Put the site in my favorites for quick,and easy access.Print them monthly for the accountant,and our records.Even keep a set on the truck just for the Quebec dot officers who are not with the program yet!I had a Quebec dot officer ask me for 14 days of paper logs.Sorry officer but i can show you 14 days of electronic logs instead.He said we don't accept EOBR logs!What a moron,he is wrong.He let me go with a verbal warning!I called saftey they said he was wrong.I still don't why he even pulled us over in the first place!

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
This issue was one of several major concerns I too had. I was glad to learn it had been successfully addressed and resolved and to hear from others that it is in fact working well.

I have yet to make the switch to the new QC unit, but, per the recent letter we all know the push is on and the clock is ticking.

I have been told and I am under the “assumption” that the install takes about 5-6 hours, but once completed you are on your own. There is no formal presentation of how it works or a demonstration of all the bells and whistles. It is my understanding all there is is a self-taught/self-paced tutorial that you can work through and learn on your own.
1. Is that correct?
2. If it is correct – how much reasonable time is needed after the installation is completed that one would need to remain OOS in order to become even minimally comfortable with the new unit before taking the next load with confidence it could be completed without technological complications and setbacks?

Last edited:

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
We had a class put on by Fedex at the place where the qualcom was installed.It will take a few hours to install.I can't remember the name of the place that installed it,but it wasn't far from Green,OH. Relax, it's very easy to learn,and use.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am sure you had the class at PJ's and Melissa probably taught it.

She is very good on the QC and if you ever have a HazMat questions she is a fantastic source.

The new QC is easy to learn and if there is any questions you call in and talk to Tom or ask them on here as there are so many of us on the new QC I am sure someone has run into most of the gotchas and would be more than happy to help.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I would like to see the log sheets compiled into a spread sheet instead of a daily log.

That would be huge and it would open a host of possibilities in optimizing individual trucks and the entire fleet. I was not expecting that to come out of our carrier. I am happy enough to see access to past logs provided. If digitized and normalized data became easily available to the drivers who log it day by day, lots of cool stuff could be done with the information by drivers who are inclined to use it.

Do you think there is an actual chance of getting our log book data in digital format, or is it just a happy thought?

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thinking a bit more about this, it would not be our carrier that would provide the ability to download our digitized log data but Qualcomm. Just as they now offer six months of data as they now do, perhaps our carrier could prevail on them to take the next step and enable us to download our log book data directly into a spreadsheet or database.

Adding that ability to the new Qualcomm units that our carrier is forcing on us would be an added-value feature on the new units for those of us who would put that digitized data to good use.

gadfly65

Seasoned Expediter
I tried...it did not. According to the instructions, the carrier name is supposed to come up automatically in the screen requiring our PIN. I tried to enter it myself but ran out of permutations. Not sure if FedEx needs to give it to Qual or not.