One Dispatcher over another

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
There are several dispatchers I will never accept an opportunity from at the first offered rate.

On the other hand, we have our favorites as well. Some load opps are accepted hands down since we know and trust the dispatcher to be honest with both the info and offer amount.

So you are saying that you wouldn't accept a great load from a dispatcher that you don't like,but you would accept a crappy load offer from someone that you did like?

That's a heck of a way to run a business,but to each his own I guess. Hope it works out for you.

ccrider

Seasoned Expediter
"So you are saying that you wouldn't accept a great load from a dispatcher that you don't like,but you would accept a crappy load offer from someone that you did like?"

No, Your logic is like some of the dispatchers.

What I have learned is that some dispatchers can not be trusted to give all the info needed to make an informed decision on a load opp. The opp's coming from those dispatchers can not be trusted at face value therefore I look for more $$$ to compensate for the unknown issues that are sure to develop based on the history of the dispatcher.

Other dispatchers have a history of good runs for good rates. The only crappy runs have been from crappy dispatchers.

Of course even a good run can have unforeseen issues but the issues can not be blamed on the dispatcher.

Have you been doing this long?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

DD will probably say too long...*LOL*

I don't know what carrier you are with...but in 9 years I have experienced nothing of what you described....

So my turn...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"So you are saying that you wouldn't accept a great load from a dispatcher that you don't like,but you would accept a crappy load offer from someone that you did like?"

No, Your logic is like some of the dispatchers.

What I have learned is that some dispatchers can not be trusted to give all the info needed to make an informed decision on a load opp. The opp's coming from those dispatchers can not be trusted at face value therefore I look for more $$$ to compensate for the unknown issues that are sure to develop based on the history of the dispatcher.

Other dispatchers have a history of good runs for good rates. The only crappy runs have been from crappy dispatchers.

Of course even a good run can have unforeseen issues but the issues can not be blamed on the dispatcher.

I can picture a dispatcher setting there saying so and so always screws up any load I ever give them when there is really no one to blame for the problems at all. Itis just attitude from a bad experience or two they had with that driver that guides their opinion rather than facts.

ccrider

Seasoned Expediter
DD will probably say too long...*LOL*

I don't know what carrier you are with...but in 9 years I have experienced nothing of what you described....

So my turn...

Driving for 15 years, Expediting for the last 3.
You must play it safe, be comfortable in your traffic lanes, or maybe just unaware to not have had a dispatcher lie or omit important info on a run.

Stuff like letting you know that the consignee requires the driver to unload the freight to a non adjacent dock for no added pay. Or maybe it is not mentioned until you arrive at the delivery that your lift gate and pallet jack are need for no more pay. I run a super D that is expected to carry 15k/lbs+ at least once a week at a low D rate while under contract for no more than 13k/lbs. I have had one dispatcher put us OOS for 12 mins in order to give a good run to a truck behind us in the cue. Bottom line I guess is that you might be happy with just running. I am not happy unless I am making a profit.
Say NO to Cheap freight!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You must play it safe, be comfortable in your traffic lanes, or maybe just unaware to not have had a dispatcher lie or omit important info on a run.

Stuff like letting you know that the consignee requires the driver to unload the freight to a non adjacent dock for no added pay. Or maybe it is not mentioned until you arrive at the delivery that your lift gate and pallet jack are need for no more pay. I run a super D that is expected to carry 15k/lbs+ at least once a week at a low D rate while under contract for no more than 13k/lbs. I have had one dispatcher put us OOS for 12 mins in order to give a good run to a truck behind us in the cue. Bottom line I guess is that you might be happy with just running. I am not happy unless I am making a profit.
Say NO to Cheap freight!

Oh...Lying..that I have had plenty of...and lets call it distortion of facts...that too...

I have found every dispatcher has their unique way to present a load...some are better then others...some should be snake oil salesperson,,,while the next could sell Amway...*LOL*

Me being a Sprinter and You a D we have quite a few operational differences....BUT when it comes down to the money...thats where we are the same....we both want to make money.....NOT just break even or worse, lose money...

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter

Say NO to Cheap freight!

Well cc, I don't know who you are driving for but it sounds like the wrong company.

Things like unloading your own truck, or having to go to another dock that is NOT the address given at the time of dispatch or carrying a payload that is greater than your required weight for no extra compensation is just crazy.

Why are you letting your company get over on you like this ? And if you have dispatchers that are not giving you all of the information at the time of dispatch then you need to find out why.

I can see where a situation arises that the company did not know about beforehand,but if extra services are needed and not being paid for then that is unacceptable.

And if you keep doing these extras for no extra pay,then you have no one to blame but yourself. (have you been doing this long? )

And yes,I HAVE been doing this for quite awhile now,and I am fairly compensated for all extras.

ccrider

Seasoned Expediter
Well cc, I don't know who you are driving for but it sounds like the wrong company.

Things like unloading your own truck, or having to go to another dock that is NOT the address given at the time of dispatch or carrying a payload that is greater than your required weight for no extra compensation is just crazy.

Why are you letting your company get over on you like this ? And if you have dispatchers that are not giving you all of the information at the time of dispatch then you need to find out why.

I can see where a situation arises that the company did not know about beforehand,but if extra services are needed and not being paid for then that is unacceptable.

And if you keep doing these extras for no extra pay,then you have no one to blame but yourself. (have you been doing this long? )

And yes,I HAVE been doing this for quite awhile now,and I am fairly compensated for all extras.

Anyone who thinks they have never been had by their carrier is either a fool or a liar. The deal is the old "fool me once..."

You must be be living in a neat world where you have never 'been had' even once by your carrier or maybe your carrier always puts the contractor first ahead of their business interests. Either way, you are surely one of the best at what you do and deserve much praise!
Thank you for sharing with me.
One day I hope to be as successful at this as you must truly be.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Anyone who thinks they have never been had by their carrier is either a fool or a liar. The deal is the old "fool me once..."

You must be be living in a neat world where you have never 'been had' even once by your carrier or maybe your carrier always puts the contractor first ahead of their business interests. Either way, you are surely one of the best at what you do and deserve much praise!

WHOA,hold on there cc. I never once said that I never had a load where there where surprises or discrepancies,because that just doesn't happen in the trucking world.

What I did say was that whenever these things did happen,my company dealt with them and I was fairly compensated for the extra work/services that I provided.

So I ask again why are you still with a company that doesn't give you all of the info and cheats you out of revenue?

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Most of my load offers are offered via computerized voice, if I do not want the load as offered, I turn down the load and when they call and ask "how much would it take" I no longer give a figure. I simply ask them to tell me how much they will pay. It they can not offer more mone but simply ask "can you help us cover this" - I ask for and have received other perks, ie: authorized to relocate to home - this helps pay for the fuel home on a Fri. when I was going to deadhead anyway. All of this is predicated on the relationship you establish with the dispatchers. Tone of voice, attitude, and respect all determine how you are viewed by the dispatchers.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter

Doggy Daddy was right if i get somewhere and they tell me oh by the way you have to hand unload 1. they either meet my $$$$ demands or they can hire it out i don't care if it wasn't in the load then it wasn't work contracted for period. Transportation act of 1982 (could be wrong on the year} stated that it is illegal to make a driver unload if the driver wasn't told about having to unload BEFORE saying yes to taking the load. So it's not even legal to require you to unload after you arrived at the cons.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, the way I look at it, the dispatcher is my only customer. They are the ones that give me work. Why bite the hand that feeds you. The folks I pick up or drop off the load is the customer of the carrier not mine. However, they don't know that since we drive around in the carrier's name, we still should act like they are.

sockhat

Seasoned Expediter
What if a dispatcher calls 3 x ,trying to get u to pickup in ind going to ill. -but it doesn't deliver for 3 days. We turn it down each time. Short ld. No where to sleep for 3 nights + no profit. Why can't dispatch understand that. The last time they called they were no pleases with my turning ld down. Wondering now, how long i'll have to wait for another offer. I am suppose to be #1 in area

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What if a dispatcher calls 3 x ,trying to get u to pickup in ind going to ill. -but it doesn't deliver for 3 days. We turn it down each time. Short ld. No where to sleep for 3 nights + no profit. Why can't dispatch understand that. The last time they called they were no pleases with my turning ld down. Wondering now, how long i'll have to wait for another offer. I am suppose to be #1 in area

Go pick it up, since you live in IND can't be that far to deadhead back home and then move on out to IL late sunday?? Just saying....