On Spot Automatic Chains

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The chains are not cheap and they are not of cheap quality.

The list price is $1,800.00 and to have them installed in North Vernon is $600.00.

You can buy them all over the country and have them installed in different areas and I would check on their prices.

North Vernon, IN is where the chains are manufactured and why we wanted to have them installed there. The engineers are also located here and were able to come out to the truck and get measurements for their computer software.

I would talk to Danny at the Expo about the chains and the price to get it first hand or give them a call.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those seem like a great "insurance policy" to have. Can I ask what they cost? I find it quite humorous on this board that most of the time when someone tries to share ideas, that there is always someone who blasts them and makes it sound like his idea is the end all of ideas. I personally don't care if you like/use chains, but I sure appreciate when people post gadgets that might be helpful.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I personally did not see any "blasting" What i seen was a poster in their opinion thought that they had no need for them and was not going to invest in them...a difference of opinion....no more, no less....:)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
We get our On-spots installed at the factory in Aug. I ran a bid for Roadway ( Chgo-Victorville,Ca ) that put me thru Denver-Vegas 6 times every 2 weeks. Triples west of G Jct most trips. I hope I never touch another chain ! Won't worry about getting hit while chaining up or losing body parts to frost bite. Expensive ? Maybe. I'm a lowly surface D trying to learn this game,so I don't have money to burn. Maybe just a luxury I owe myself after 30 years. If I had A-Teams truck I may not have spent the money. Once I ordered ATC on my '90 FLD I never bought a new truck w/o it. Probably the best single option at the time I could buy. Having toured the On-spot factory I would recommend going there, if it's close to convenient.( Only mins off I-65 ) It was impressive. Having every posibble option there, and the ability to custom fab anything needed gives me peace of mind. Hopefully,I never use them. If they get me out of a parking lot,dock,or to a decent t/s to sit out a storm I'll be happy. We made it to Kentucky for mats and Fedex acted like I was the only truck in the fleet. I missed Mats,instead going long for extreme money. If I go somewhere thinking I'll need the chains it'll pay for the investment,I'm sure.

Last edited:

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the info that amount does not seem unreasonable considering the minor amount of damage your new rig would have to have for them to pay for themselves. Ovm I agree with one thing you said it does appear we have a difference of opinion. That's all I will say. Thanks again Caffe's for sharing.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We also have a locking differential and we have a lift axle which all help when on ice, snow or when stuck.

We only needed one set on our drives.

Our goal is good fuel mileage and as such we have the lowest rolling resistance tires we can get which are not good on slick roads. We do not run on slick roads often enough to warrant non rolling resistant tires. The On Spot's are one way we can overcome the negative we have on our tires when on slick roads.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Our goal is good fuel mileage and as such we have the lowest rolling resistance tires we can get which are not good on slick roads.

That (along with our second drive axle) explains why we do not slip and slide around in certain situations while you do, and why you feel the need for Onspots where we do not.

Once again, it is all about trade offs. As anyone who has spec'ed a truck knows, a decision about one thing has consequences that cascade bumper to bumper. The choices you make are a function of the priorities you have.

moose

Veteran Expediter
We only needed one set on our drives. .

Unfortunately ,this is correct, only while empathizing on the word 'drive'.
but is not correct if using the word 'truck'.
in Cal. (when max law in effect) ,in O.R, I.D, and W.A as well.
in other states, if the tag is down...
you will still have to 'carry on' 3 single wide chain to be in full compliance.
but you guys already know that :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
How do you do that ?

How do I do that? It happened at Toby's in Hinkley, Minnesota. I did it by letting my mind drift to thinking about their famous warm caramel rolls when I should have been thinking about the truck.

Pictured below are the roll and the result.

MN03.jpg

MN01.jpg

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
Well, next time your up north in that lake of the woods, feel free to stop on by at the Liquid Larry bar, tell the bartender you are my friend ,and for that you will receive a free first drink !
(Just use MY name, don't tell her you are a friend of Moose, she'll think you had one too many already...)

& BTW, my question was legit, do you really do something we don't before parking at sub zero ?

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
Ateam I am not sure but that almost looks like a good trade..lol

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Well, next time your up north in that lake of the woods, feel free to stop on by at the Liquid Larry bar, tell the bartender you are my friend ,and for that you will receive a free first drink !
(Just use MY name, don't tell her you are a friend of Moose, she'll think you had one too many already...)

I've heard that one before. Mention a name thinking you will get a free drink and get instead a black eye from a jealous boyfriend and a child support claim from the woman at the end of the bar with three teeth. Playing it safe here.

& BTW, my question was legit, do you really do something we don't before parking at sub zero ?

It's a widely known technique, I thought. Before parking for the night, apply the brakes gently and drive a short distance to heat them up. That dries any water that might otherwise remain and freeze your brake shoes to the drums.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Colorado's Level 2 says a tandem must chain 4 tires which is ONE axle. With no referance to wide based tires, 4 tires would mean BOTH axles. Confused, I asked a Walmart driver, based in Colo that had wide based tires , how Walmart interperted the rule. He is required to chain BOTH axles. Also, I don't remember why but I thought I had to have two spares, so I carried 6 chains. I'll now carry two little replacement chain wheels.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Hello EO community, being a long time "lurker" I decided to make the jump and register today. I must be honest this thread had quite a bit to do with that decission, as it hits close to home for me.

While I understand that all of us are entitled to our own way of doing things out here and that there are some that welcome new ways and some that balk at change of any type I would like to weigh in on the topic.

I have a set of On-Spots on my truck, and would NEVER want to be without them on any future truck. They are, as has been said about many things, 'better than sliced white bread'. As has been said in previous posts, they are a wonderful "insurance pollicy". I drive a class 8 Freightliner straight with a lift axle and on more than one occasion have had reason to deploy the chains while in transit. Probably the best example of the chains being useful was a trip west this past winter while going through all of our favorite states for winter driving ,WY. We were on I-80 headed to CA on a seemingly clear highway and came into a strech where the snow was blowing across the road, shortly after coming into the snow covered road we took a heavy gust of wind to the right rear and the truck and we began to "hound dog". Having slowed our speed to prudent levels for the conditions we were able to reach down and flip the switch to deploy the chains and the truck came back straight. We continued west until we reached a safe exit to pull off for the rest of the night and continue at first light. Come to find out at the next exit (the one we pulled off at) I-80 had been closed due to trucks and cars alike off the road due to blowing snow and ice. I have little doubt that with out the auto chains in that situation I would have had more than a handful keeping the truck on the road even with 10 + years driving. THANK YOU ON-SPOT!!!!!

One more quick example. While crossing Donners on our way back from the above story the chain law was up and the shack was checking for chains, we deployed the chains and were waived through without having to stop. The roads were wet not icy and chains were not needed, we turned off the chains and proceded to make the jump over the pass much faster than those that had traditional chains.

Before I get jumped on about knowing weather conditions and such I will say that we had done our due dilagence and had kept ourselves abreast of the reported weather along our route. But as we ALL know weather is bound to change at the drop of a hat from time to time and boy scout or not it is always BEST to be prepaired. If I have said it once I have said it a thousand times the On-Spot auto chains are dollar for dollar one of the single best investments one could make for their truck.

We had them installed at the North Haven IN location and cant say enough good about the whole team there from sales to service personel. The only routine maintence they suggested was to "exercise" the system monthly to keep the grease in the sealed bearings moving. As for weight added to the truck I would say between 50 to 80 lbs at the absolute most. A minimal amount (between 8-10 gal of water) for the added peace of mind that having traction at the flip of a switch gives us. Let it also be known that I am no way employed or affiliated with On-Spot automatic chains, I mearly believe in their product and the support the company provides their customers.

Just my input as an expediter driving OTR north, south, east, and west where the roads are not always as well known as those that are run by regional or dedicated route drivers. Safety FIRST ...

Be safe out there the next truck in your mirror may be me.

Slack :p

Reactions: 1 person

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Bob Linda,I can understand the straight trucks haveing problems on ice in truck stops.With only the one axle being able to move the tires it would ne very easy to get stuck.Same as the single axle trucks pulling dbl bottom trailer.pups as most think of them.Myself,the cost of those chains wouldnt be worth the money to me,as I dont run the North west in the winter months,and I dont do Colorado ever.
In all my years of driving,Ive had to put chains on 1 time,and by the time I got them on,two things happened.First I looked like a drowned rat I was so wet from installing them,and second,by the time I got them on,they took the chain law sign down.
I find the traction controll in my truck does wanders,plus wit ht he power divider get both axles to turn,helps very much getting me in and out of truck stops if I am about to get stuck,but as I stated before,you only have 1 axle to deal with