Okc

gunnerwife

Rookie Expediter
We were fortunate to be able to spend the weekend in OKC. If you get a chance go downtown. It is a beautiful area that has a riverwalk similar to San Antonio and the memorial of the Oklahoma City bombing is truly remarkable.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Can you tell us what you were driving when you went down town, or if you rented a car, walked, or took a taxi?

Downtown OKC is fun and we have been down there when friends picked us up at the truck stop in their car. We had a great day and even rode Segways around.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My first choice in OKC is to go to the 45th Infantry Division museum. It's been a few years and I don't remember if it's S/T friendly or not.

gunnerwife

Rookie Expediter
We have a good friend that lives in the area so transportation was not an issue, but renting a car would be a good way to go also. Looking forward to going back so we can go the the Cowboy museum.

gunnerwife

Rookie Expediter
There is a great museum in Savannah GA that is straight truck friendly. It is the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
We have a good friend that lives in the area so transportation was not an issue, but renting a car would be a good way to go also. Looking forward to going back so we can go the the Cowboy museum.

I haven't been in years, but the Cowboy Hall of Fame (actually called National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum ) is a really cool and interesting place. 18 acres all together, just a wonderful collection of western history, art, and memorabilia on the American West.

OKCsculp_eot.jpg

If you ever have occasion to go down US 81 from OKC through Duncan OK, just about 80 mi (I often go that way to Dallas instead of I-35), there's an equally cool, though much smaller, museum on the Chisholm Trail, cattle drives, and the ways of the west: Chisholm Trail Heritage Center

It's a multi-sensory experience, meaning when you're watching the film about the history of the Chisholm Trail, the floor shakes and rumbles during stampedes, it rains mist from the ceiling, etc and you get much more of a feel for things. I've been to a slew of museums around the country and highly recommend this one.

Not far from Duncan (which was also the home of Erle P Halliburton, and now offices for Halliburton Co) is Ft Sill, in Lawton OK, which has the very cool Fort Sill National Historic Landmark Museum.

There's also a cool Cowgirl Museum in Ft Worth, if down in the Metroplex and wandering around on a layover: National Cowgirl Museum & Hall of Fame.

gunnerwife

Rookie Expediter
Thanks for the info. We are always on the lookout for something different to do. Best part of this job is getting paid to be a tourist sometimes!