Ok "vintage" sprinter owners

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Going to pull it starting at the injectors and check under the plastic...from pictures I saw, the wires are unprotected against the head (except for Version 2 where the engineers decided to go for broke and actually TAPE the wires so they wouldn't wear off in the head) thanks for the trouble spots...actually, maybe I'll look there first FlyingVan it's easier to start there, thanks...

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I met a guy who cracked the speed limiter..he could run at nearly 100MPH instead of our 81-82...

Now we're talking some serious expedite solo team runs :) Fuel economy 15 MPG engine life span cut in half. Oil consumption ouch. Keep my cruise dialed in at 70 pretty much all the time. If I get in a newer one I'm going to change that habit to 75 mph.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Going to pull it starting at the injectors and check under the plastic...from pictures I saw, the wires are unprotected against the head (except for Version 2 where the engineers decided to go for broke and actually TAPE the wires so they wouldn't wear off in the head) thanks for the trouble spots...actually, maybe I'll look there first FlyingVan it's easier to start there, thanks...

Sorry to hear of your troubles how many miles are on your van? I may have to dump mine before it hits 250. If you are in LA (Sprinter Expert) or Toledo (Wayne Rodd) you are in good Sprinter hands :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That many error codes just screams an electrical short somewhere. Even a weak battery will give you all kinds of totally unrelated error codes. As FlyingVan said, that particular areas of the wiring harness is famous for shorting out. I had mine repaired when it happened in that spot, but it only lasted 2 or 3 years before having to replace the entire engine wiring harness.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So...zip tied the starter wires back to the thick injector bundle like they were...and ZERO codes.

:dash1:

Going to tape the injector wiring under the plastic so it doesn't short out on the block and save up for a fusebox and new harness...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Sorry to hear of your troubles how many miles are on your van? I may have to dump mine before it hits 250. If you are in LA (Sprinter Expert) or Toledo (Wayne Rodd) you are in good Sprinter hands :D
215,000. Far too early for ANY problems in my mind

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Man, that is young. Mine sits in the yard with 774k miles. Haven't driven it in 3 months, last weekend went to start it to go to the dump, battery dead. Charged it for 45 min or so and the van started right up. I like driving this thing. I only had to change one injector some 30k miles ago.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Man, that is young. Mine sits in the yard with 774k miles. Haven't driven it in 3 months, last weekend went to start it to go to the dump, battery dead. Charged it for 45 min or so and the van started right up. I like driving this thing. I only had to change one injector some 30k miles ago.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
My 2012 sprinter has 517k mi. on it with the original injectors and glow plugs. So far so good.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mine will have 208k tomorrow, pretty much all highway since purchased with 143k... I feel like parking it until they develop a bose ride or decent air ride seat for it. The 2011 volvo automotive seats I have in it now are beating me up. All the seat technology usually skips the older sprinter and goes right to the new model.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mine will have 208k tomorrow, pretty much all highway since purchased with 143k... I feel like parking it until they develop a bose ride or decent air ride seat for it. The 2011 volvo automotive seats I have in it now are beating me up. All the seat technology usually skips the older sprinter and goes right to the new model.
Was just thinking about you today when I sat in my comfortable 12 year old stock sprinter seat. I don't get it

I have a 2003 ram van for you to go on a long trip in...its just metal as the seat wore off long ago...you'll love your seat again after that

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wonder if those Volvo seats are part of your problem never heard anyone else complain much about the sprinter seats.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Comfortable seats are dangerous in a cargo van IMO, I don't want to forget where I am and fall asleep...

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wonder if those Volvo seats are part of your problem never heard anyone else complain much about the sprinter seats.

Well the problem is I need to knock the partition wall back a few inches and also elevate the seat up one inch so I can use the power to adjust it to liking. The VOLVO seats are way better then stock. Not complaining just trying to put more emphasis on comfort after seeing the bose ride seat. Also I'm in a 06 which is part of problem.You're in a 13 with a air ride aftermarket seat correct? Lets trade sprinters for a week and we'll send you out to Cali :D

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd even put my seat back farther if I could, I've got the partition also...tolerable enough when cruise is on and feet on floor though

I think with the steering wheel position you adapt to the sprinter rather than the other way around...also, you must have lost the adjustments when you changed the seat...I remember spending an hour getting it perfect when I got the van

Thanks xiggi, yet another thing I buy for the truck, I can see the wife now "you spent HOW MUCH"

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have all power adjustments. My seats are from a 2011 Volvo S80. Couldn't pass up the deal $200 for both at junk yard with only 30k when installed. Everyone I talk to say the 08 and up Sprinter is more comfortable and quieter and more "car like". Not sure if they changed much in 14. I do like the steering wheel placement on the older ones, more like a truck.