ok...totally a newbie question.

driverdog

Seasoned Expediter
Right now with my local driving job, alot of these issues I never had to deal with, so here are my questions?

I' ll be starting expedite driving in a straight truck for an o/o hopefully in about a week. I'm trying to plan to idle as least as possible to save on the gas. I read on this site about some portable heaters which is good, but here is my question. Because it's diesel engine on the truck, if I leave the truck off for too long like while sleeping, wont it be nearly impossible to start in very cold temps? How long is too long?

Secondly, if I want to watch television, dvd, run the microwave, does the truck auxillary have to be on and wont that kill the battery if I go too long? How long is too long?

And if the truck has a fridge and I shut down, doesnt that infact shut down thr fridge and spoil any food inside?

Any good cheap ways to get good tv reception? (I wont be the truck owner so I dont want to make any cosmetic alterations to the truck).

Yeah totally newbie questions I know, its just stuff I never had to deal with and now that I think about it, never taught in trucking school.

Thanks for any help.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
All answers depend upon knowing whether the truck is equipped with an APU (auxiliary power unit). With it, you can have climate control, and electrical power, without running down the truck's starter batteries. The unit on my truck, as I assume others do as well, includes a battery charger, and a block heater, for very cold temps.
It's a personal choice, but I wouldn't consider driving a truck that didn't have an APU. Besides the obvious comfort factor, it also saves money on fuel, engine wear, and is quite capable of jump starting the truck batteries, if need be. I know that because I've done it, several times already, and it's much easier than finding someone willing to give you a jump, when you need one.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
"I' ll be starting expedite driving in a straight truck for an o/o hopefully in about a week. I'm trying to plan to idle as least as possible to save on the gas. I read on this site about some portable heaters which is good, but here is my question. Because it's diesel engine on the truck, if I leave the truck off for too long like while sleeping, wont it be nearly impossible to start in very cold temps? How long is too long?"

Find out what fuel additive the O/O currently uses to prevent jelling of diesel due to low temperatures. Does truck have APU unit with block heater? All t hese are questions you should ask O/O. Before I first started driving for O/O I had a notepad listing all my questions and I wrote down all his responses plus wrote additional information he passed on.

"Secondly, if I want to watch television, dvd, run the microwave, does the truck auxillary have to be on and wont that kill the battery if I go too long? How long is too long?"

I would suggest checking battery contacts and posts condition if needed clean make sure connection is secure. Difficult to say how long is too long as every truck is different. Another question to ask O/O or previous driver who also should have a wealth of information about truck as well as O/O.

"And if the truck has a fridge and I shut down, doesnt that infact shut down thr fridge and spoil any food inside?"

On 3 trucks I've been on the frig stays on when sengine is off this will be a drain on batteries. Suggest if your going to be away fron truck several days you may consider emptying frig and putting contact some where else. Once again every truck is different.

"Any good cheap ways to get good tv reception? (I wont be the truck owner so I dont want to make any cosmetic alterations to the truck)."

Never invested in system for TV reception I was satisfied in watching dvds

"Yeah totally newbie questions I know, its just stuff I never had to deal with and now that I think about it, never taught in trucking school. "

Asking questions plus reading current and archives posts as well as pm EO members. Personally I asked a slew of questions on forum as well as pm EO members when I was deciding if I wanted to be an expediter. I also did the same once I made the decision to become one. Folks here have a wealth of information that was very helpful.

I strongly recommend you get a contract between you and O/O before getting into truck. If you do any research on EO you find out the nightmares drivers went through without a signed contract.

Good Luck!

driverdog

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for all the info and your time. Your right, questions I should ask my O/O. It sounds like having an APU on board is the difference between night and day.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
cherri ,good answer,in my case,i havent bought a fuel additive since the engines have becom electronic,as they all have heated fuel systems per say.ive been in 20 below weather and have not been jelled up,of course when the temp is under 0 degrees i dont shut the motor off,unless i can find a place to plug it in.im old and not new to the apu that guys are putting on their trucks,they want 10000 bucks for the one i was looking at,thats a lot of days in the motel,as i spend about 300 bucks a month in 1 motel or another,and not idleing the truck pays for most of that

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Driving Dog, good begining question. Now my question is how long have you been studying? This kinda of question shows me you are no where near ready to become a official Expediter but are ready to jump in with way to many questions and this is a $ breaker, you stated you are going to begin shortly?

Sir, you need much more guidance, and I hope you have a multiple of thousands in the bank not a couple of thousands but many.

I was asking these kinda questions months acutally years before I joined the Trucking Industry.

I am writing this cause I cannot stand to see people fail. You better find a Mentor in a HURRY or your gona regreat this.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The owner for whom I drive said to put antigel additive in for cold temps, so that's what I'm doing - his truck, his call, you know?
Staying in a motel is a personal decision - I do it now & then, but it's really a lot of nuisance to schlep all the stuff in & out of the room, for no more benefit than the indoor plumbing & cable tv, IMO. And if there's nothing on cable I want to watch, I feel like I wasted the money, lol.

driverdog

Seasoned Expediter
I wont be buying or leasing a truck, I'll be driving for an O/O. These are questions I never had to deal with since I drove a company truck locally. I am asking because I want to save money where I can by avoiding idling,etc....,

Thats why I am starting by driving for an o/o. I sincerely appreciate the concern.

Thanks.

DreamTeam44

Seasoned Expediter
Er..UH , Ya I remember back when it was gas, now it's fuel so if you are saying gas I bet U have a bit to learn and new habits to create after more education. Hopefully your O/O is a good teacher....experience is always a good teacher, with a good attitude toward learning something at every turn I believe one can be successful at anything they set their sights on,,,
Good Luck!