Ok, How about PLANAR?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With all the talk of the webastos and espars, has anyone had experience with the Planar 44d? Its cheaper, Russian, and at least sounds good on paper...

I'm not sure that my idea of taking a spare heater core plumbed into the existing Espar is going to heat up the uninsulated cargo area of my sprinter

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With all the talk of the webastos and espars, has anyone had experience with the Planar 44d? Its cheaper, Russian, and at least sounds good on paper...
It's bad enough to buy a Chinese price of crap, why would I consider a Russian piece of junk?

Reactions: ntimevan

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Reactions: T270_Dreamin

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks, thought it was something different...a Chinese knockoff would probably be cheaper if I wanted to go that way

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a Chinese knock off! Only thing wrong with it is the user error installation! Been using it for about a year, buddy of mine has had his for over 2 years.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I should just put in a D4 and be done with it but it kinda burns me to have a perfectly working espar and have to buy another one for the cargo area...maybe by the time I make up my mind it'll be spring and I can save the $$$

uriykir

Active Expediter
My dad has been running planar for two years with no issues, if you order online from Russia it might take two months to come in just so you know. Find someone that sells it in North America

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: brokcanadian

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
can these units be running/on while driving down the road? or should i plan on one that ties into the heater lines of the truck to use while running and use this while parked?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Sure you can use it when my defrosters went out I added a hose from my sleeper to to the dashboard connections and heated my cab just toasty for a week till I got parts for my cab heat

Reactions: RoadTime

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They can be left ON and running while driving down the road. Since the Sprinter's dash heater really can't keep up when it's below 30 degrees or so outside, I often run it while loaded. One thing you do not want to do, though, is run it while loaded and then let the fuel tank run down the point where the heater can't draw fuel from the tank. When that happens the fuel keep keep on dry humping trying to feed the heater. The Espar fuel pump will give up after 3 cycles of trying to feed and ignite the burner, to prevent the pump from burning itself up, as the diesel fule is the pump's lubrication, as well. So running out of fuel like that once or twice, occasionally but rarely, it's not all that damaging. But do that regularly, routinely, once or twice a week, and you'll be replacing the fuel pump before the end of the winter. Ask me how I know that.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sure you can use it when my defrosters went out I added a hose from my sleeper to to the dashboard connections and heated my cab just toasty for a week till I got parts for my cab heat

Hmmm, I wonder if you could go a little further and send some heat to the engine area? Make a difference or a wasted effort?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Hmmm, I wonder if you could go a little further and send some heat to the engine area? Make a difference or a wasted effort?

It might help, but you engine area is open to cold air so I'm not entirely sure it's worth it, my mac gyver instincts tell n
Me not worth the effort

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

Reactions: RoadTime

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I should just put in a D4 and be done with it but it kinda burns me to have a perfectly working espar and have to buy another one for the cargo area...maybe by the time I make up my mind it'll be spring and I can save the $$$

Just tough it out for 3 months with a alps mountaineering zero degree bag. I used that back in 2013, least I could do is sleep warm. There's the warm up period though when you transfer from sleep to driving that is no fun. I'm reinstalling my d2 in Feb winter will be almost over, but maybe I can test it out up there in the great lakes region once or twice.

Reactions: brokcanadian