Oil Leak from Speedco

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Had my PM done at the Speedco in Whytheville, VA. A few days later noticed an oil drip. The leak got worse and yesterday it made a puddle. Took it back to Speedco. The oil pan drain plug is stripped and the plug can not be torqued to spec. I brought it home and took it to my local shop to see what can be done. It appears the tech at Speedco over torqued the drain plug and tore up the threads. This is on an MBE4000 with an aluminum oil pan.
I've contacted Speedco corporate and so far they are being helpful. I'll post about how they handle it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had an issue once with Speedco about 8-9 years ago. They took care of it fully and without any hassle. Good luck.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
They are pretty good about stuff like that. They will probably pay for an oil pan and install and give you a free PM or two.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
My mechanic was able to install a 3/4 inch to half inch reducer with a 1/2 inch drain plug. $161.37.
I sent an invoice to Speedco and was told they will mail me a check. No arguments.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Usually get pretty decent service from Speedy but am cautious. They (for whatever reason) pulled two drain plugs on my old ISC but only torqued one. Spit 1/2 gal oil in 30 miles. Once had a meat head twist the top off of the fuel filter (plastic Mercedes) and caught him trying to super glue it back together.. Corp made it good.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
I wonder how they are over torquing oil plugs? Every time I go in they use a torque wrench and make the driver witness it, the only way they could over do it it is by wrong torque set on the wrench either by using the wrong spec or mis-setting the value on the wrench.

TS

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
My mechanic was able to install a 3/4 inch to half inch reducer with a 1/2 inch drain plug. $161.37.
I sent an invoice to Speedco and was told they will mail me a check. No arguments.

Why not a new oil pan !!!!!!!!!!

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
They asked too many questions when they worked on my c9 so I don't use them any more never any problem though.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I sent Speedco a copy of the bill on Monday. Got a check on Saturday. Still lost work time as a result of them stripping the plug. At least they paid for the repair.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
I have a "quick valve" on my truck. I don't have a clue which brand it is as it was already installed when I purchased the truck. I have never had a problem with it and with every PM the mechanics couldn't be happier I have it and comment how they wish everyone had one.