Oil Consumption

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I've got a Cat 3126, Just turned 300,000 and just started using oil. I've got it in at Cat to do an overhead right now and hope they find something simple. Any ideas?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
How much oil is it using? Could be several things.
Let us know how it is going.
Davekc

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
It has always used about a gallon every 10,000 or less ( very acceptable ) The last 3 weeks it has been more like a gallon every 2000 with no change in performance. I used to work on the old mechanical engines quite a lot (71-series Detriots) but these electronic engines still throw me a lot of curves.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Well now I know what was wrong. My injectors were bad and the injector seals were leaking mixing oil with the fuel. Big bucks repair being done right now.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is not usually a good thing. Not that common on these engines at 300,000. Let us know how it goes.
Davekc

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
There should be no reason to replace the injectors themselves if the engine was running up to snuff. Replacing all the injector o-rings should get things back to normal.

The International DT and T series HEUI engines will do the same thing when o-rings fail. It wasn't a real common problem, but it happens as the engine ages and the o-rings get hard and brittle.

Although the injectors are different from Int'l and Cat, the system operation is nearly identical.

Rex

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Well the deed is done and it seems to be running fine. I've been trying to loose weight anyway but the weight lost was in the left rear pocket where I keep my wallet.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
How much lighter are you after the repair? Could help people compare with simular engines
Davekc

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I'm about $2500.00 and change lighter as we speak. I was reluctant to go with the injectors but that's the way Cat wanted to do it. Also that included an overhead and a clutch adjust

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
At least your up and running which is a good thing. I quess in the grand scheme of things, it could have been worse.
Davekc

aardvarkman

Expert Expediter
tom,
just a note - keep a close eye on the oil return line on the air compressor and on the huiy pump. these lines were replaced by steel braid lines when they fail. they were not recalled as they should have been. if the original rubber lines are on there - replace them NOW before you lose all your oil when one bursts. it is a cheap pm item.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the tip. I'll check those lines tomorrow. I just got back in from 10 days out. One of these days I'll get a card for my laptop. Until then I just post when I'm home.