oil changes

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter
I own a new 2007 Freightliner m2-106. It has 4700 miles on it. The dealer says oil changes are good for 10,000 to 15,000 miles. I am curious how often other owners have their oil changes performed and if snyone uses synthetic oils. This truck has a mercedes 250 hp engine.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
New truck?

Great!

Go get the oil sampled and analyised. Speedco does this.

This will tell you where you are as a new engine.

It may seem as a waste of money but 10000 miles is a good start to baseline the engine, 5000 may be better.

And do this every oil change.

But if you go to a synthtic, like I am doing, and extending the oil change, don't forget to get the TBN (total base number) checked, this is the active additive left in the oil.

Also consider not changing the oil by the mile but the hours of engine. Others may chime in on this idea.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Your owner's manual is the best guide, especially on a new truck where you want to keep your warranty in force. Develop a documented (receipts) maintenance history that follows the manufacturer's recommendations. If a serious warranty clame later rises, you will have the documentation to prove you held up your end.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
The owners manual does'nt consider driving conditions and dusty roads. If you run out west and through the dessert you'll most likely pick up more dirt. remember, it's not the viscosity you're worried about, that should'nt break down for at least 15,000 miles. A simple analisys should shed light on that. But dirt is your enemy.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I guess there are different kinds of owner's manuals out there. Mine does consider dusty conditions and specifies service intervals different than for "normal" conditions. Others I have read do the same.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
Well, i just meant that fact's and figure's represented on a piece of paper cannot exactly match your personal experience so visual inspections can be more important than "guidelines", however, yes, absolutely do maintain clear and concise record's that show you're within the recomended guidlines set forth by the manufacturer or you "will" void the warranty. Absolutely.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
On a new engine I do the first oil change at 1/2 the owner's manual suggested interval. I do the second one at the suggested interval. I do an oil analysis at each change and gradually increase the interval until I have used all the useful lifespan of the oil changes.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know guys, both of you make good points but got to tell you that you need to understand it is an excellent idea to keep receipts, however it is a far better thing to make sure you know what condition the oil (and the engine for that matter) is in if you elect to follow the recommendation of oil manufacuturers about extending the oil change intervals when using synthetic oil.

Remember the onwers manuals are not made for any specific type of person and they usually generalization maintanance that is not always something that is done properly. Many of the things that are omited in my manual I had to find in the component manufacturer's manuals.

The manufacture of my engine (Cummins) recommends a 7500 mile oil change on this engine (ISC)using conventinal oil. Right now I am getting to change it at 25,000 miles since my last oil change. The last OA came back clear with one indicator a little high, big deal. I run Mobil one, no blending, not anything else - just the real thing. This engine has 636,000 miles on it and still runs great (except for the Cummins updated fuel pressure sensor kit I have to reinstall). Now talking to the Cummin regional rep, he told me that because of the OA, it matters to them more than receipts.

My advice is simple; establish the habit of an oil analysis and if you decide to use a synthetic oil, do not use a blend but a pure oil but research carefully which one.

Leo, didn't see what you posted, good advice.

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you for the advise. We are out of service this week for my daughters graduation and I am giving the apu its first oil change at home 50 hours on it. The truck has 130 hours and 4700 miles on it. I think I will run next week and change it at around 8000 miles. I will also get the oil analized. Right now it has not used any oil and is still pretty clean. I am thinking of using rotella synthitic.
Thanks again

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
As it applies to cargo vans:

Oil it the least expensive maintenance item on my checklist.

Why not forego the cost of an engine oil analysis and simply change the oil on a 5000 mile cycle for non-synthetic and 10000 miles for synthetic.