Oil Change's How Often???

patperkins

Seasoned Expediter
:cool:Hello Everyone!!! Just wondering how often you change your oil? What type do you use, synthetic or regular? Do you change your filter every time? I run about 10,000 miles a month and change once a month using 5-30 Mobil 1 and change filter every time. I have a 4.8 chevy gas. Any thought would be appreciated. Have a great day!!!!:D:D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
My current CV has a 4.8 V8 and has 380,000 miles on it.... I run Amsoil Synthetic and nothing else...I TRY to change the filter every 5000 mile and add the required oil at that time and normally have to add a quart inbetween filter changes...I change the oil and filter together every 15,000 miles.

Now..I have just bought a new CV with a 6.0 V8. Amsoil as a "protection promise" that if you use their oil and filter and change them at 20.000 mile intervals they will warranty and "oil related" engine failures for up to 200,000 miles...I spoke to an engineering rep from Amsoil to get his suggestions as to if I should change out the OEM oil before I started OTR or wait until the 1st oil change which I would do a 3000 miles since it is a new motor...his recommendation was to run the OEM and then change it and ten follow whatever program I felt comfortable with as long as the filter and oil were both changed out within the 20,000 mile interval....I will be continuing my routine of a filter every 5000 miles and oil and filter at 15,000....it has worked fine on the motor in my current van...but i will tell you, i do miss the exact miles for change from time to time and if i let it go too long, I can see a drop in oil pressure at an idle...that won't happen on the new van....

One other thing, I also ue amsoil trans fluid and Differential gear oil and use a synthetic lube on the ft suspension parts also..

pookie8me

Not a Member
Pat, keep using synthetic.....I say mobil 1 cause my Dad is the "Godfather of Mobil 1" look him up....google william "bill" maxwell mobil 1

they ran a bmw a million miles.....changing oil every 25k miles.....parts were still in specs for new parts......WOW can you believe that?

I change every 12-15k and change filter each time with Mobil 1 synthetic......you could go to 20-25k but I like to have a cushion......you will never have a problem

I know nothing about other brands...to each their own.

ps...almost all NASCAR uses MOBIL 1......ALL....they pour out other brands and fill with mobil 1.....but don't quote me..LOL...about 1000 of you guys will start whining....but it's an inside practice