Ohio newbie....

jball64

Seasoned Expediter
Hello all,
I have been jealously looking in from the outside for a couple years now. Like many, the expediting career is where i want to go. The timing is much better, i have read that the industry seems like it is finally coming around and i have the ok from my wife. Lol lol...
How did i get here?...funny you should ask. I never thought driving a truck would be something i ever wanted to do. Truth is...i dont want to drive a truck (by truck i mean a tt)..too big and trying to back that thing into places that dont look like it would fit in...nope, not for me.
Starting off i would be more comfortable in a C/V or Sprinter. So i spent 26 years honing my auto tech skills, customer service skills and my business skills until the company i worked for all of those years closed its doors in 2008.
The last couple years we sometimes serviced a C/V for a guy that worked for Panther. He always told us about his job, where he had been, and where he was getting ready to go. From that time on, that thought has always been in the back of my mind...as a backup, if anything ever happend to my job of a potential second career.
Since the closing i have had a coulple different jobs. Things are tough all over, i understand that but i stay positive and upbeat, but now (in my mind) is my chance to try something out of the box. The job i have now slightly resembles your genre. Im in the outside sales arena. Im on the road all week, upwards of 600 to 750 miles a week, i talk to customers (mostly B2B cold calls), i do carry parts (automotive) and 1 to 2 times a week i drive a small 22' box truck to deliver to my customers. i love it.
One day i thought-what could be better- two things came to mind-the pay and having to stop and talk to all these people...thats when the expediting thought came from the back to the front.
At this point, im only 46 years young, healthy, patient, easy going and very dedicated to the people that help me, wether it be family, friends or the company im with. Im working on getting my P's and Q's in line.(physical, CDL) and all the reading i can do...until then, thats just a small ramble about me and my situation.
Feel free to suggest, inform, mentor,point me in the direction of a potential employer or if you are an employer, pm me. Untill then, i do have questions but i'll let you digest this first..lol.lol....

Last edited:

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Welcome to the forum, paragraphs are your friend.

lol im bad about doing that also.

But welcome to the forum. I sent you a pm. But defiantly do some back reading on the forums. Search for things you have questions on and if you have any questions dont hesitate to speak up and ask. What are your goals? Wanting to drive for someone or one day own a van? Expect to sit and wait on a load some. Also expect to run wide open some days to. I would say 80% or more of my loads are night runs delivering that morning so that may be something you will have to adjust to once your on the road.

But best of luck to you !

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Good morning JBall. You will find out there is a wealth of information here and great people to share it. Does not matter what part of the country your in, someone here knows where you can find help.
You will find that you won't make your million here but the people here are quite different (better) than general trucking. Enjoy yourself.