Oh Dear!...ur, uh, I mean Oh Deer!

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
The good news is I got a 10 point buck last night. The bad news is I didn't get it with my 12 guage, I got it with my E 350! Hit it at about 50 mph. ripped of transmission lines, bent the bumper, yada yada yada,It's gonna cost a few grand to get it fixed. Fortunately no injuries. They are everywhere right now. Be careful......

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ouch! Sorry to hear it, but thanks for the reminder - you're right, they are everywhere. I've not hit one, [yet], but I know how they can magically appear in the middle of the empty road. Is it something that insurance will cover?

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hit a trophy 3 weeks ago at 6 a.m. near Columbus.

Almost $6k damage and still in the shop.

I have Allstate and their policy is: If you make contact with any animal it is filed under comprehensive.

Don't make contact and any damage you incur (such as swerving to avoid and run off the road, hit another vehicle, etc., etc., and it gets filed under collision and liability, which then goes against your driving record.

Be safe.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Two words folks: moose bars -or- whatever they call them in your neck of the woods.

You will avoid extensive damage and downtime.

wombat4412

Seasoned Expediter
hey sorry to hear that,
but it is the never ending sorry every day you hear over the CB or the truckstop counter hit a deer today or some other kind of animal wanting to commit suicide on the highway 7 byways of north america
well the answer is very simple a cattle catcher or as we call it down under a roo bar & before some driver tells me there is a shortage of roo,s here guest what i already no this but several years ago the australian government bought in a law requiring all trucks to have these roo,s bars installed on the front of them believe me twenty five years of running outback australia these things work it sure does hurt the animal more than the damage to your truck maybe something to consider next time you hit a deer or moose or elk etc and you are up for $2000+ in repairs
wombat4412
fedex cc o/o
:)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>Fortunately no injuries.

That must have been one tough deer! Seriously though, good luck with a quick repair.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
What about this poor guy????????????

Outbreak of elk-vehicle collisions raises concerns
11/3/2006, 2:28 p.m. ET
The Associated Press

VANDERBILT, Mich. (AP) — Collisions between motor vehicles and deer are a familiar — and dangerous — problem. Now elk are getting into the act.

A rash of crashes with elk happened recently along Interstate 75 in Otsego County, leaving many vehicles damaged and some people with minor injuries.

Brian Johnson, a long-haul truck driver from the central Upper Peninsula, hit a bull elk early Oct. 9 in the southbound lane of I-75, a few miles south of Vanderbilt. The crash caused massive damage to his rig, estimated at about $15,000.

"I popped up over the hill and they were running every which way, and there was nowhere to go," Johnson told the Traverse City Record-Eagle for a story published Friday.

Johnson said the wreck took off the right side of the hood, bent the front axle and may have bent the truck's frame.

"The rack caught a hold of my mirror and bent the door out, if you can imagine," he said.

When he told fellow truckers what happened, they assumed it happened in the West, not the Midwest. But Michigan's northeastern Lower Peninsula is home to an elk herd that the Department of Natural Resources estimates at 800 to 900.

Other collisions between vehicles and elk were reported on Oct. 19, Oct. 29 and twice on Oct. 30. Most were near Vanderbilt.

"For some reason, they keep going back and forth at that spot," said Brian Mastenbrook, a wildlife biologist with the Department of Natural Resources.

State police Sgt. Denny Reynolds said crashes involving elk weren't uncommon this time of year — about 20 of the animals are killed in crashes annually — but the recent outbreak was cause for concern. Bull elk can weigh about 1,000 pounds.

DNR officials flew over the area Wednesday and spotted about 10 elk less than a mile from I-75, Mastenbrook said.

Michigan had 62,707 deer-vehicle crashes in 2004, causing about $125 million in losses. The state had 58,741 deer-vehicle crashes in 2005, according to the Michigan State Police Office of Highway Safety Planning.

___

truckerbse2

Expert Expediter
I think maybe they need to take down the Elk Crossing signs in this area, it is obviously too dangerous a place for the Elk to be crossing:7