Oh Boy what have I gotten myself into.....

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some short insights from a newbe.

Sprinter came in. Last minute e-track installation. Thought I had it ready to go, after 12 stitches, (another story)…Made 620 mile trip to new company, Cleaned Sprinter at 2200 hrs in 14-degree temp, so new company decals can be installed. Froze early that night, Went to orientation…Admired new decals on clean Sprinter…only to be disappointed to find they installed a dirty, greasy satellite dome on clean Sprinter, that by the way was cleaned late night in 14 degree temp after driving 620 miles…

Paid for this and that and that again. Made another 620 mile deadhead trip home so 12 stitches can be removed, and rethink sleeping arrangements in Sprinter. Made the corrections needed to keep thawed.

Been 12 hours since Dispatch was informed I’m ready and waiting. Yep…be moving in the morning.

A statement I remembered a small gray hair man once made came to mind.

“Who am I? And what am I doing here?

Oh, and before you ask. Yes, I have a big block of cheese to go with the wine.

Second thoughts??? Big time! However, I am in it for the long haul…sort of speaking.

Made the decision to do this type of work/life style. I will get over it!

At least the company I signed on with has great folks there, and one not so great...ha!

Steady

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I think everyone has those last minute "What have I done?" feelings waiting on that first load. Hang in there, before you know it, it'll be routine for ya.

Dreamer

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Steady,

Keep calm. Been there know that feeling...

Six years ago-Left my dream job-3500 square foot house-Lived south of Buffalo, NY...not a care in the world.

First days out-Didn't get a run for 4 days-Lived in a 72" box-Sat in Rochester, NY 90 miles from my house. Sat in the pouring rain at a so called "truck stop" for the the whole 4 days sobbing....."what have I done". First load 800 miles to Alabama of all places...ended up at "Charlies truck stop" by Decatur, AL...a place I won't shower at even with my clothes on...

Moral of the story-Still doing it. :)

Hang in there, this is not the best time of year to start as far as the money goes but it is the best time to get your feet wet.

mcbride-
O/O-Super D unit-Team-6yrs
--What goes around comes around--
LEGAL NOTICE: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those held by the posting author and do not represent the views or opinions of Expediters Online.com, On Time Media, LLC, it's agents, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertisers or sponsors.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Eddie,

Who's your company?

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I dropped out of the Corporate World where I wore suits ,ties had a new Thunderbird,lots of wine, women(LOL) and expense accounts,plus real benefits, plus a absolute miserable SOB as a boss My first 3 months I laid awake a lot worrying as you are as to what have I done. I have zero regrets,I probably would be dead had I stayed in the situation I was in work wise. This is a pretty good life,the winter can be slow and it will pick up for you. Good Luck.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Talk about a terrible start read my threads. But my first week out was my best with my last carrier. Yeah I had the same feeling, in Pittsburg no truck stops to be found. Walmart parking lot all day long not a great place to try and get any rest, so there you think trying to sleep or not think. Payment, insurance, away from my family, all alone your thoughts override your commonsense. It will work out and as for loving your carrier just keep in mind there are more carriers out there if your not to happy further down the line. I was posotive I was gona be with my last carrier forever. Its what you make it out there and I am having a ball.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
> in Pittsburg no truck stops to be found.
We stay at Smithton Pa (I70X35) Two truck stops there.
You might want to download the trucks stop guide written by our good friend George Mcdonald (geo)
Just click on resources above,then truckstop guide.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
You are simply having the thoughts that a lonely mind has. It is no big deal. Relax and enjoy the down time because if you are with a good company it will not belong until you will wish for down time. As for stiches, never DH 620 miles to have those removed. Once your wound is healed take them out yourself. If you have standard just clip them and they pull out with a little tug. If it is an under the skin stich, fold back both ends, clinch your teeth and pull hard. You will have a little blood where the holes are but you will be fine. If you are a worrier poor a little alcohol on it after you get them out. Diesel fuel works as well. Dont recommend that though. You will be fine. Best of luck.

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1

blueeyes

Expert Expediter
>As for stiches, never DH 620 miles
>to have those removed. Once your wound is healed take them
>out yourself. If you have standard just clip them and they
>pull out with a little tug. If it is an under the skin
>stich, fold back both ends, clinch your teeth and pull hard.
>You will have a little blood where the holes are but you
>will be fine. If you are a worrier poor a little alcohol on
>it after you get them out. Diesel fuel works as well. Dont
>recommend that though. You will be fine. Best of luck.

I would strongly recommend against taking out your own sutures in this manner. (hoping you were kidding there, raceman...) But no need to DH 620 miles either...You can always stop at a walk in clinic.

blueeyes
RN, BSN
17 years
on here to try and learn more about this crazy business my husband's in ;-)

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for all the positive thoughts! Just what I wanted to hear “been there done that….” Long way from being a Regional Financial Analyst, hated the job more times than liked it. It took 25 years to make my move into a new career.

Oh, raceman- More to it than just clip clip pull pull on the stitches. There’s ligaments, arties, free movement etc. A metal grinder will do that…healing very well, just ugly. (Jet fuel is cleaner), but I wouldn't recommend it either. lol

Again, Thanks to all of your for you supporting words of wisdom.

Steady

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>
>A statement I remembered a small gray hair man once made
>came to mind.
>
>“Who am I? And what am I doing here?
>

I always thought he said: "Where are we going, and why am I in a handbasket?"

Rex