Odometer blinking

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
2014 promaster, started the van my seatbelt and airbag light stayed on steady (not blinking) and the odometer is blinking. Everything is operating normally except that. Anyone experience this yet? No check engine light. Disconnected the battery for a minute or so and there still on. Disconnected passenger and drivers seat still on. If I undo my seat belt while driving I get no buzzer or flashing light. Doesn't have to be running. Ignition on the lights stay on steady and the odometer starts blinking.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
2014 promaster, started the van my seatbelt and airbag light stayed on steady (not blinking) and the odometer is blinking. Everything is operating normally except that. Anyone experience this yet? No check engine light. Disconnected the battery for a minute or so and there still on. Disconnected passenger and drivers seat still on. If I undo my seat belt while driving I get no buzzer or flashing light. Doesn't have to be running. Ignition on the lights stay on steady and the odometer starts blinking.
Is it maybe a "Service Alert"?

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was thinking along that lines but I would think resetting the computer would remove it. If it's incripted then probably not. Most likely will be a dealer repair.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If the horn doesn't work either, then it's the clockspring. The clockspring in the steering wheel allows the wheel to turn while still maintaining an electrical connection with the horn, seat belts, and passenger seat weight sensor (so the air bag system knows the difference between a 3 year old and a 30 year old in the seat).

Make sure nothing is interfering with the seat belt switch, like a dime or a paper clip. The seat belt may latch and click like normal, but if there is anything down in there interfering with the switch you'll get the restraint dash lights. Also make sure the wiring from that switch, like under the seat, hasn't been pulled or damaged.

One thing to try is. . .
With the van off, turn the key to RUN, but don't start it up. Turn the emergency flashers on for 4 or 5 flashes, then turn the flashers off. Then turn they key OFF and pull the key out. Wait 15 seconds and put the key back in and start it up like normal. That will usually clear the blinking odometer in most vehicles. Worth a shot.

Finally, disconnect the negative battery cable for a full 10 minutes to clear out the computer (making sure any aux or house battery is not also connected).

The most common reasons for restraint lights are, in order, the clockspring, something interfering with the seat belt switch, damaged wiring, bad passenger seat weight sensor. Beyond that you'll need to have the codes read to see what the more unusual causes might be.

Reactions: Pro3500

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The odometer on mine has blinked since day one. They have tried to reset the computer at the dealer with no luck. Also the electric fan cycles constantly with the A/C on when parked. They said it won't hurt anything but they can't reset it either. It has 260,000 miles and still does it. Makes me crazy, but its a short trip, (proves I'm an expediter)

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The odometer on mine has blinked since day one. They have tried to reset the computer at the dealer with no luck. Also the electric fan cycles constantly with the A/C on when parked. They said it won't hurt anything but they can't reset it either. It has 260,000 miles and still does it. Makes me crazy, but its a short trip, (proves I'm an expediter)
My A/C does the same thing. I already wore out one fan motor. I don't idle mine either. From what I'm finding on the innerweb the BCM (body control module) is most likely the problem. It loses communication on some features.