October 2018 What nots and other stuff

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been quiet this week, haven’t I? That’s because of last Friday night.

Long and short of it, RIP Promaster.

We were on the way from KC to Idaho. Near York, NE I needed to look away from the road for a second to turn up my dash lights. Every car since what, 1940? has a rheostat on the dash or as part of the light switch. Promasters have this:

IMG_0353.JPG

Doesn’t fall right to hand, does it?

When I looked around the steering column, my hands followed where my eyes were looking and I ended up about two feet into the other lane. There was an Explorer there. She ended up in the median and must’ve gotten scared when her car started to shudder. She came back onto the tarmac while I was still in her lane, so we hit; my front left corner to her right rear corner, like a cop doing the PIT maneuver. I turned her just a little bit, then she shot off into the wheatgrass. I ended up going THROUGH the uprights of a road sign similar to this:IMG_0350.JPG Tore up the right side of the van something awful. Fit under it, though, so I didn’t behead myself. The firemen told me to try out for the Cornhuskers as a kicker

PRAISE GOD FIRST OF ALL THAT NOBODY WAS SERIOUSLY HURT. My back got tossed around, so it hurts.

Now back in PA. Emptied van out into a rental Caravan; with the mattress, a full load. It took Progressive until yesterday to determine the extent of the loss.

Now we have to figure out what the heck to do next. Thinking maybe of being a driver in someone’s van.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

dalscott

Expert Expediter

We were on the way from KC to Idaho. Near York, NE I needed to look away from the road for a second to turn up my dash lights. Every car since what, 1940? has a rheostat on the dash or as part of the light switch. Promasters have this:

View attachment 18055

When I looked around the steering column, my hands followed where my eyes were looking and I ended up about two feet into the other lane. There was an Explorer there. She ended up in the median and must’ve gotten scared when her car started to shudder. She came back onto the tarmac while I was still in her lane, so we hit; my front left corner to her right rear corner, like a cop doing the PIT maneuver. I turned her just a little bit, then she shot off into the wheatgrass. I ended up going THROUGH the uprights of a road sign similar to this:View attachment 18056 Tore up the right side of the van something awful. Fit under it, though, so I didn’t behead myself. The firemen told me to try out for the Cornhuskers as a kicker

PRAISE GOD FIRST OF ALL THAT NOBODY WAS SERIOUSLY HURT. My back got tossed around, so it hurts.

Now back in PA. Emptied van out into a rental Caravan; with the mattress, a full load. It took Progressive until yesterday to determine the extent of the loss.

Now we have to figure out what the heck to do next. Thinking maybe of being a driver in someone’s van.

So sorry to hear about the accident. Like you said no serious injuries. My 06 Sprinter has buttons for the dash lights too under the speedometer. Took a long time to get used to. I hope your van isn’t totaled. Either way I sincerely hope things work out and you feel better soon. It could have happened to any of us

Reactions: Solar

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

When I looked around the steering column, my hands followed where my eyes were looking and I ended up about two feet into the other lane. There was an Explorer there. She ended up in the median and must’ve gotten scared when her car started to shudder. She came back onto the tarmac while I was still in her lane, so we hit; my front left corner to her right rear corner, like a cop doing the PIT maneuver. I turned her just a little bit, then she shot off into the wheatgrass. I ended up going THROUGH the uprights of a road sign similar to this:
Tore up the right side of the van something awful. Fit under it, though, so I didn’t behead myself. The firemen told me to try out for the Cornhuskers as a kicker

The Lord must have been riding with you...at least you are alive to talk about it....I am quite sure you'll find a work around, You've always displayed a stubborn grit to stay in this business...

Best of luck ....Ken

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Lord must have been riding with you...at least you are alive to talk about it....I am quite sure you'll find a work around, You've always displayed a stubborn grit to stay in this business...

Best of luck ....Ken

God absolutely was riding with us!!!

As for stubborn grit, I’m part looney tunes , I love the job, and it’s basically the only half-sharp tool I have in my skill toolbox. I’m so far gone that if I were given any Mercedes I want, I’d pick a Sprinter . Any sensible person would pick an S Class or an AMG version.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

View attachment 18055

When I looked around the steering column, my hands followed where my eyes were looking and I ended up about two feet into the other lane. There was an Explorer there. She ended up in the median and must’ve gotten scared when her car started to shudder. She came back onto the tarmac while I was still in her lane, so we hit; my front left corner to her right rear corner, like a cop doing the PIT maneuver. I turned her just a little bit, then she shot off into the wheatgrass. I ended up going THROUGH the uprights of a road sign similar to this:View attachment 18056 Tore up the right side of the van something awful. Fit under it, though, so I didn’t behead myself. The firemen told me to try out for the Cornhuskers as a kicker

That's pretty scary. Glad you are alright. Hope things work out for you.

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This Week:
Denver to N Jersey
N Jersey to Orlando
Tampa to S Jersey
Philly to Tampa
5000 +/- no bargain basement rates
Beat - OOS til Monday AM

Great week.
OK, you brought it up ... I'll ask. It'll most likely be some round about, ballpark, vague, ambiguous answer but I'll try anyway.
What do you consider a good rate for your services?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great week.
OK, you brought it up ... I'll ask. It'll most likely be some round about, ballpark, vague, ambiguous answer but I'll try anyway.
Since its WOM and Sigi's Anniversary , he might be Zoned out..Lol ..
But , i can honestly say that they average per mile less than my average Load-1 rate ,,,,, But they average More than Most No-Namers and Other Expedite Carriers are currently paying on All-Miles . Hopefully that helps. ..

Money not Miles

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great week.
But , i can honestly say that they average per mile less than my average Load-1 rate ,,,,, But they average More than Most No-Namers and Other Expedite Carriers are currently paying on All-Miles . Hopefully that helps. ..

Money not Miles

Well, congratulations! After a long week like that it's nice to have something to celebrate.
WOM's reply wasn't due by a certain time, so he can reply at his leisure. Unless he's under a gag order from the boss ... lol

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, congratulations! After a long week like that it's nice to have something to celebrate.
WOM's reply wasn't due by a certain time, so he can reply at his leisure. Unless he's under a gag order from the boss ... lol
Yep , he will reply if he chooses. But he , like all of us long timers on EO know that opens yourself up for Rate /Carrier Bashing . Myself, i just take care of me and don't worry about Nay-sayers anymore .

Money not Miles

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep , he will reply if he chooses. But he , like all of us long timers on EO know that opens yourself up for Rate /Carrier Bashing . Myself, i just take care of me and don't worry about Nay-sayers anymore .

Money not Miles

So perhaps it would be best to stop vaguely referring to rates altogether. "Better than most" .... "Bargain basement" .... blah, blah, blah .....

Reactions: ntimevan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I never talk numbers but the last two people that talked to me about my truck have no reefer experience.
This they don’t understand the value or potential of a reefer.
And I’m retired so I have nothing to lose.
My numbers for the year were computed today.
$130,232 for 31,360 miles.
That’s every mile the truck moved.
Solo all year, semi retired. More dh than usual.
Just over $4.15 All Miles.
Next week I hope to figure the overall income from FEDEX and the income from Landstar..
I’ll document and give my agent list to any buyer.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great week.

Money not Miles

One other thought .....
As a single operator vs a team the rates should not even be comparable. That's part of the reason I chide WOM. Teams offering cheaper rates with faster transit times.
When I started in 2012, there was a van rate and a Sprinter rate. MIN van rate was .80, Sprinter rate .90 .... same loads, Sprinters simply earned more. Then came along the Promasters and Transits. Instead of guys realizing they could earn more $ by investing in a high top vans, guys ran for .80 in their new vehicles. My point is, folks aren't aware how much their services are worth.

All the best at L1! .... good move ....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes , John E. and his Dispatch Team have Opened my eyes . I met a driver (i knew) from a former company that i was leased to , at the gas pump the other day . We discussed numbers and he acted like i was pulling his leg ... so i showed the APP to him and my weekly numbers .. Wow , he quit bragging Miles in a hurry ..

Money not Miles

1expeditor

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Thank God everyone was ok in the incident vehicles can be replaced people cant...

When I looked around the steering column, my hands followed where my eyes were looking and I ended up about two feet into the other lane. There was an Explorer there. She ended up in the median and must’ve gotten scared when her car started to shudder. She came back onto the tarmac while I was still in her lane, so we hit; my front left corner to her right rear corner, like a cop doing the PIT maneuver. I turned her just a little bit, then she shot off into the wheatgrass. I ended up going THROUGH the uprights of a road sign similar to this:
Tore up the right side of the van something awful. Fit under it, though, so I didn’t behead myself. The firemen told me to try out for the Cornhuskers as a kicker

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Griz, Griz, Griz...
I will submit your request for information to our management office in Bison, SD. This time of year you might not hear back until spring.

I don't post to be competitive, I post to share. We are a team and our miles are only comparative to other teams. As far as rates go, sometimes it's "happy money", sometimes it's " better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick money", but it's always "fair" money.

I learned the definition of a "fair price" back in '71 when I left the Air Force and went to work. An old Jewish guy (seriously) told me: "A fair price is that which is offered that you accept".