Obama faults U.S. automakers for their stupidity

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I would like to see that headline and actually he did say that in different words.

As much as I would like to see our remaining two auto companies get it together, I do not want to see our government spend a dime on helping them – they need to find their own path to getting it together and moving forward. The help they need is in front of their face and they do not want to do anything except move more production off shore.

What’s bothersome is the ideas that Obama have laid out;

• Help domestic automakers to make fuel-efficient hybrid vehicles by giving them health care assistance for retirees. Federal financial assistance would cover 10 percent — up to $7 billion — of automakers' annual legacy health care costs through 2017,

• Provide $3 billion to automakers over 10 years to help retool plants to make fuel-efficient cars and trucks.

Neither of these are really needed when you look at the companies themselves and the gains that both have made overseas. They are not dying companies, but rather have strong overseas operations.

It is rather odd that Toyota and Honda are doing so well here by the way.

Maybe it is their mentality that Toyota and Honda have that GM and Ford lack.

Maybe it is the fact that Toyota and Honda don’t really sell their products through lease programs but seem to actually sell to consumers.

Maybe it is the fact that Toyota and Honda have a product to sell. GM and Ford just don’t have products people want to buy here or a dealer system setup to be consumer friendly.

I guess I am sick of GM and Ford crying about health care when GM can become a third party health care insurer and start reducing costs through a health prevention program. What is really odd is that they say healthcare is the only reason that they can’t compete but as I was told tonight GM has more than 60% of its retirees covered by Medicare as a primary insurer (Ford by the way is around the same number).

I am also sick of them crying about the CAFÉ standards and how they will cost jobs if increased. They will not, in fact if they produce vehicles that get better mileage and surpassed the present CAFÉ standards, they will sell more cars.

If GM or Ford need more help to design, build and sell cars in their home market, maybe they need to seriously consider that it is time for the to leave the market all together and let other more efficient companies sell their products.

What ever the solution could be, government needs to increase the CAFÉ standards and not give them a dime.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
RE: Obama faults U.S. automakers for their stupidi

I am sure the working class guys and gals would love to hear all that! LOL

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter

hey when you pay someone 40 bucks an hour to sit and put lugnuts on car plus benefits, bury your head in the sand and keep building big suvs and gas guzzling monsters even when gas is above 2 bucks a gallon, gm, ford and chrysler were always 4 years behind where the should have been. They put greed and stupidity together and then wonder what happened.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

I wish there were a simple answer: But the Retirement Health Insurance funding is what should be going into Engineering or a portion of it. How can they compete with this brick around there necks in 12 feet of rising water?

Look at what people are really driving out there as well. While I was in Texas three weeks ago, all I could see was 4x4 Full Size Chevy, Dodges, Fords, and Toyotas. All of them had special exhausts to make them sound what some think is cool.

All I see is a lot of gas being consumed, but hey they can afford it so who am I to care or we?

On my street alone, for every fuel efficent car there are three high fuel usage vehicles. I just did the math for the first 7 houses on both sides of the street.

Jayman

Expert Expediter

I think we have all failed. Consumers havent been the most energy conscious. Care makers fed the consumers needs/wants. But, they havent managed their businesses well. Plus, we need to get away from gasoline and moved to something like soy diesel.

I drove a Ford Focus with a diesel for 2 months. (in Germany on the Autobahn) This car performed very well and could get 38 mpg at 100 mph!

Jayman

Expert Expediter

After thinking about this topic further...I decided to take a step that I havent taken in a while. I wrote my elected officials in congress and our President. This is a huge issue that affects us all. I encourage you all to do the same. You can send messages to the officials from your respective areas via Yahoo and other web sites. Below is a copy paste of my message.

Message sent to the following recipients:
Senator Bayh
Senator Lugar
Representative Ellsworth
Mr. President
Message text follows:

Dear Sir,

While writing this letter I know the issue isnt a new one and has been discussed for years. However, I would like to take this opportunity to encourage you to pursue the following recommendation.

Get America out of the gasoline business. While in Germany, I had the opportunity to drive a diesel Ford Focus. It performed very well in local driving as well as 100+ mph driving on the Autobahn. While driving 100 mph, it got about 35 mpg! Naturally at slower speeds, it got a lot better fuel economy. I later drove another Ford Focus, but it had a gasoline engine. It had to work much harder to obtain 100+ mph and used much more fuel in the process.

I dont recommend America switch to diesel. But, I do think if we used the soy/vegetable oil diesel substitute...our great nation would obtain huge benefits. The following details the benefits.

1. It would be cheaper and cleaner than gasoline.
2. Cars perform better and are more efficient with it over gasoline.
3. It would put our farmers to work for a very long time.
4. Some of the needed supply can be easily obtained from restraunts
using their refuse.
5. Most of all...it would kill our dependancy on foreign oil!

I know changes like the one I recommend cannot be completed in a year
or two. But, we need to start somewhere.

Thank your for your consideration.

MSinger

Expert Expediter

It seems to me that the automakers either have to pay to provide the healthcare to the employees or pay high taxes for the government to provide the care. Look at Canada and their ungodly consumer taxes. I don't know how bad they hit the employers with taxes but the consumer taxes seem mighty high to me.
Besides that if the US goes to socialized medicine where will all the rich Canadians go to get care so they don't die waiting in line?

2002 GMC Savana 3500 DRW 15' cube 10,000 GVWR "Old Yeller"
former Penske truck