O/O with a NEW truck and 18 years on the Road.

Ernest1982

Active Expediter
I'm posting this thread for a friend who isn't very computer savvy ....

This individual as the title states has a 2010 Tractor (pulls company trailer), has a perfect driving record and 18 years of experience of hauling General Freight (no expediting) .... he gets around 80+ cents a mile plus FSC .... doing about 3,000 miles a week (dedicated from MidWest to Texas) every week. We sat down the other day and counted what he brings home clean after fuel, then what he has left over after a payment on that truck and it came out to be around $3,000-$3,500 for the whole month.

I though this would be a great place to ask, seems to me that this individual with his experience and equipment could be doing a lot better for himself .... He keeps saying he is comfortable because he has a dedicated run, that doesn't change and he doesn't know what to expect for any other carrier that might turn into a horror movie and end up regretting the change.

Again he knows nothing about computers let alone load boards or dispatch system software, I just wanted to know what if anything you guys could recommend to such a driver.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
There are alot of variables that aren't mentioned about his pay structure...like benefits, health insurance , taxes deducted or 1099 contractor..all thatneeds to be taken into consideration before anyone can say yeap he will make more...Yes, chances are he would get more per mile...then all the other comes into affect.

That being said..most O/O's going from "General Freight" and especially one doing it for the length of time he has, have a really hard time in expediting...this is NOT TL or LTL...this is not "drop and hook"...this is "drop and WAIT"....a TT will move faster then other types, but he will sit and wait for loads...you can not schedule an emergency of a small order of freight that needs to be some where to keep a line open until a TL can get there on the regular schedule...Alot og general freight guys cannot deal with the sitting....I am sitting in Laredo right now talking to a guy that cane from generl freight 6 months ago, he is in a sprinter..he says he is about to pull his hair or or get out of this...in just 6 months....

Its not all about the money....while OTR trucking is a lifestyle, expediting is a "niche" within that lifestyle all onto itself....

Ernest1982

Active Expediter
...this is NOT TL or LTL...this is not "drop and hook"...this is "drop and WAIT"....a TT will move faster then other types, but he will sit and wait for loads...

This seems like it would be his biggest concern, I just wanted to know do most hauling general freight get paid like this, there has to be well reputable companies out there that treat their O/O drivers a little better when it comes to pay. That net pay after everything for those type of miles comes out to .30 cents a mile, which by my homework most Company drivers get paid.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I can't speak to the net pay for a big truck...but the waiting and it can be "days" at a time is almost always an issue for long time O/O's from General Freight....us little guys, CV/Sprinters/Cubes can take off and go most anywhere to kill time...can't do that in a "Big" truck....unless you want to pay for a few taxis or rent a car....

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Again he knows nothing about computers let alone load boards or dispatch system software, I just wanted to know what if anything you guys could recommend to such a driver.

I would recommend that he stay where he is and stay out of expediting, unless he is willing to learn how to not only use a computer but use one well. I can't imagine working as an expediter without having a computer in the truck and the skill to use it.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Im thinking with his own Tractor, Maybe move towards flatbeds to get his pay up.Heavy hauling should pay better then dry freight.Providing his truck is heavy enought for it. Just a thought or something to look into.
Thats considering he wants to really work for a living..:D

Ernest1982

Active Expediter
Maybe move towards flatbeds to get his pay up.Heavy hauling should pay better then dry freight.Providing his truck is heavy enought for it. Just a thought or something to look into.
Thats considering he wants to really work for a living..:D

Are you saying flatbed haulers are the hardest workers in trucking?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Id say pulling a flatbed and haveing to throw and strap traps every load is considerably harder the drop and hook of a dry van...

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I'm posting this thread for a friend who isn't very computer savvy ....

This individual as the title states has a 2010 Tractor (pulls company trailer), has a perfect driving record and 18 years of experience of hauling General Freight (no expediting) .... he gets around 80+ cents a mile plus FSC .... doing about 3,000 miles a week (dedicated from MidWest to Texas) every week. We sat down the other day and counted what he brings home clean after fuel, then what he has left over after a payment on that truck and it came out to be around $3,000-$3,500 for the whole month.

I though this would be a great place to ask, seems to me that this individual with his experience and equipment could be doing a lot better for himself .... He keeps saying he is comfortable because he has a dedicated run, that doesn't change and he doesn't know what to expect for any other carrier that might turn into a horror movie and end up regretting the change.

I'm glad that's him and not me. That sounds like an awful lot for so little. Considering that he's currently an IC,, already getting hit with the tax situation and the fact that the truck isn't going to be worth much when it's paid off... I'm sure his carrier is happy, though, to be putting as little as they are into that run.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

Ernest1982

Active Expediter
I'm glad that's him and not me. That sounds like an awful lot for so little. Considering that he's currently an IC,, already getting hit with the tax situation and the fact that the truck isn't going to be worth much when it's paid off... I'm sure his carrier is happy, though, to be putting as little as they are into that run.

Sounds like some good help/recommendations .... thanks :confused:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
How important is home time? Is he running the dedicated run so that he has a predictable schedule to be home with a wife and kids? Is he willing and able to stay out on the road for four weeks or so. I would think that he could do at least as well on the money per month, but with far fewer miles on his truck.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter

Ive done it. Not only is hard but it can be dangerous too. A lot of flatbedders have the broken bones to prove it. Tarping tall loads in a strong wind, or rain or whatever can get a little scary. Ive been on top of a few loads that if it hadnt been for losing my job, I would have left them at the shipper...probably should have anyway.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter

If I had to rate truckers,,Yes I would say the heavy haulers would be one of the hardest jobs out here.Not just because of the straps and tarps (which would be no fun). The maneuvering,,traffic,,getting in and off job sites,strain on the equipt, etc etc.
Yes I think an O/O in flatbed divisions or working for themselves earn their money.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I don't necassarily believe that expedite would be an improvement for your friend. His pay per mile might increase, but if he likes his dedicated route, he's gonna be miserable doing expedite. Personally, I would be miserable doing the dedicated route...different things make us happy.

I would advise your friend to look for a better paying gig for sure. But, I would be looking in truckload, dedicated type areas...not expedite. That stuff is out there and the carriers need guys like your friend to run it. It a matter of research.

Did you say where your friend lives? You never know who is reading these threads.