Cargo Van O/O getting started. Got van, insurance, tracks, gps...WHAT ELSE?

Nk3

New Recruit
Researching
Thank you everyone in advance for your help.

Mapping out an entry into expediting with a Sprinter.
To get started in as an O/O leased on with someone like Load1, wondering what the bare bones essentials are?

Van
Insurance
GPS
Phone (iphone, galexy etc)
Plywood flooring w/ tracks
Contract with Load1, Panther etc.

Anything else?

(other than > sleeping arrangements, life on the road gear, food, water, savings for unseen expenses, maintenance tools)

Thank you kindly.
All the best.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you everyone in advance for your help.

Mapping out an entry into expediting with a Sprinter.
To get started in as an O/O leased on with someone like Load1, wondering what the bare bones essentials are?

Van
Insurance
GPS
Phone (iphone, galexy etc)
Plywood flooring w/ tracks
Contract with Load1, Panther etc.

Anything else?

(other than > sleeping arrangements, life on the road gear, food, water, savings for unseen expenses, maintenance tools)

Thank you kindly.
All the best.

Well you seem to have your ducks in a row, any smart phone will work, I know Load 1 has a app that's helpful. Tools I carry enough to change a hose or minor stuff, I carry nothing extra that takes up any space other than a cooler with stuff to snack and drink, good luck this is a tough market to crack into.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: TDave and ntimevan

Living the dream

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Best of luck!! Advice for panther if you drive for them. Always find out where you sit on there load board. Meaning first out or fifth out. You never want to sit in a truck stop that has 3 panther vans an your the 4th one there unless your first out. If your 4th out dead to another spot or plan on sitting for a week. Best Of luck.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Often you can get insurance cheaper through a carrier than on your own. Load 1 and some others have a waiting list, some require experience. I would talk to some recruiters before spending a dime.

Reactions: TDave

Nk3

New Recruit
Researching
Thank you everyone! These are golden nuggets for me. Esp a heater and insulation. Given that staying alive is important, and that was an oversight on my part, glad you guys are here.
(Not that I wouldn't have figured that one night in some random parking lot (hopefully), much better to know ahead of time.)

Fastman_1 - Minimal gear, light and simple. Keeps the weight down too. good stuff. thank you.

Living the dream - Excellent tip. will save me from wasted time should this become a reality. much appreciated!

Turtle - Air quality and Warmth. Primo. Essentials. Thank you sir.

Perioodic - Insulation AND heater. Staying alive. Check. Thank you.

Xiggi - Ok great. Thank you. I talked to insurance reps at the Expo for ballpark numbers but your advice, esp starting out, sounds like the way to go. Thank you.

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
Road flares and a bright vest if you don't have them already. Go to Walmart and invest 12 bucks in a tow rope. Great for wrapping around skids to have a fork lift drag your skid to the door. Hell could just come in handy for anything.

A decent sleeping bag and either a ten dollar egg shell bed mat or and eighty dollar twin sized memory foam topper. Cot optional. So you can sleep on your floor when you're empty and don't have the cash for a motel! Good pair of earbuds or Bluetooth. Pandora radio is free!