NY marathon!!

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
I beleive that the Marathon should be postponed or cancelled, because of Sandy.
resouces can be better used to recover. My opinion is They ask for Federal money, than spend what they have on this is rediculas.
Also Like was said hotels are out of power and the ones that do, should be for use for locals that need a place to go. This will also make recovery difficult.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
A few thoughts...the race sponsors are donating close to 2 million dollars to the relief effort, power is expected to be back at many parts of NYC, the race is on Sunday with very light traffic, and i'll bet businesses will benefit from runners that show up. NYC will have to get back to "normal" at sometime..perhaps the sooner the better. I totally understand your view BTW, maybe it is too soon after the tragedy.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But just think there is more soda to go around for everyone because you can't get the big cups. What a thoughtful man he is.

Having the race is just stupid the personal resources it will take from the recovery is huge.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Whatever your opinion of the race may be, it presents a good opportunity for disgruntled storm victims to get their voices heard. If I was one such person, I would take full advantage of the high-visibility event the race will be and organize a protest at the starting line. With all the media that will be covering the event, a serious protest demonstration at a festive event would provide the kind of contrast reporters love to talk about. The attention a protest demonstration would get may well help speed the relief storm victims seek.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whatever your opinion of the race may be, it presents a good opportunity for disgruntled storm victims to get their voices heard. If I was one such person, I would take full advantage of the high-visibility event the race will be and organize a protest at the starting line. With all the media that will be covering the event, a serious protest demonstration at a festive event would provide the kind of contrast reporters love to talk about. The attention a protest demonstration would get may well help speed the relief storm victims seek.

The media isn't covering the problems from the storm now. They easily ignore protests at the race. On a national level if they don't report it then it never happened.

The amount of police and city workers the event uses is huge and it makes no sense at all to hold the race regardless of rose colored glasses.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Starving residents chasing Kenyan runners through Brooklyn live on NBC would be entertaining.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The media isn't covering the problems from the storm now. They easily ignore protests at the race. On a national level if they don't report it then it never happened.

The amount of police and city workers the event uses is huge and it makes no sense at all to hold the race regardless of rose colored glasses.

I'm not saying the race should happen. I'm saying that since it is going to happen anyway, it can serve as a stage from which attention can be directed to hurricane victims. With the outrage now building in response to the decision to go ahead with the race, that appears to be happening already. Watch for street protests and wide coverage of them.

Backlash Erupts as New York City Prepares for Marathon

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Hurricane Sandy may have plunged part of New York City into darkness, drowned its basements and subway tunnels in saltwater, and even set part of a neighborhood on fire, but it couldn't stop New Yorkers from standing in line for hours to purchase the iPad Mini. Hundreds of people lined up in front of Apple's Fifth Avenue store for the chance to get their hands on the new device. A significant majority of those in line, however, were not New Yorkers, as many of them spoke little or no English and were Asian immigrants or visitors. If Sandy didn't deter them, it's not likely to deter the world's largest marathon, either.